Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news US Requests UN’s Approval for a New ‘Gang Suppression Force’ to Combat Growing Violence in Haiti
  • Local news

US Requests UN’s Approval for a New ‘Gang Suppression Force’ to Combat Growing Violence in Haiti

    US seeks UN authorization for new 'Gang Suppression Force' to tackle escalating violence in Haiti
    Up next
    Sarasota state Sen. Gruters elected Republican National Committee chairman
    RNC Chair Gruters to Stay in Florida Senate, Withdraws from CFO Race
    Published on 29 August 2025
    Author
    Internewscast
    Tags
    • 039Gang,
    • Antonio Guterres,
    • authorization,
    • Dorothy Shea,
    • escalating,
    • for,
    • force039,
    • Haiti,
    • New,
    • Seeks,
    • suppression,
    • tackle,
    • violence,
    • Washington news,
    • world news
    Share this @internewscast.com
    FacebookXRedditPinterest

    TANZANIA – On Thursday, the United States revealed its plan to seek U.N. approval to establish a new “Gang Suppression Force” addressed at combating the rising violence in Haiti, where armed factions are extending their ruthless operations from the capital to rural areas.

    U.S. Acting Ambassador Dorothy Shea made this announcement during a U.N. Security Council session, yet it remains uncertain how this force will differ from the Multinational Security Support initiative led by Kenya, which is currently engaged in aiding local police in the conflict-stricken Caribbean nation to tackle gang-related violence.

    Shea expressed gratitude to Kenya for responding to Haiti’s urgent appeal by spearheading a multinational force for over a year, noting that without Kenya’s leadership, gangs might have felt even bolder in their goals and violent acts against Haitian civilians.

    According to Shea, the U.S. along with Panama, plans to introduce a draft resolution to the Security Council, aiming to create the Gang Suppression Force and establish a U.N. Support Office to provide logistical aid to this initiative.

    Back in February, U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres suggested inaugurating an office equipped to supply drones, fuel, and various non-lethal resources, along with ground and air transport to support the Kenya-led mission.

    Shea did not clarify whether the U.S. would offer any military or police backing to the emergent Gang Suppression Force, nor did she specify if Kenya and the other participating nations – including the Bahamas, El Salvador, Belize, Guatemala, and Jamaica – would continue their involvement.

    One council diplomat said it had been informed that the Kenya-led force would be renamed and transformed into the Gang Suppression Force with a significant increase in size and U.N. logistical support. The diplomat was not authorized to speak publicly because discussions were private.

    The first Kenyans arrived in Haiti in June 2024 and the force was supposed to have 2,500 troops but its current strength is below 1,000.

    Shea urged Security Council members to support the “new path towards peace and security.” And she urged the international community “to come to the table and join the United States, Panama and others who have demonstrated their commitment to Haiti’s security, in meaningful burden sharing to help promote stability in Haiti.”

    Seven countries, including the United States, informed Guterres in a letter Wednesday that they were taking action on another of his February recommendations – to form a “Standing Group of Partners” to provide “high-level strategic direction, oversight, and political decision-making for any revamped security force.”

    The group — which also includes Canada, El Salvador, Guatemala, Jamaica, Bahamas and Kenya — said it will work to secure voluntary financial contributions for costs not covered by the U.N. Support Office, to facilitate an increase in force numbers, and to provide coordination for a revamped force including putting a special representative in Haiti’s capital, Port-au-Prince.

    Guterres addressed the Security Council before Shea spoke welcoming efforts by unnamed council members to advance his February proposals to strengthen the multinational mission with U.N. logistical and operational support.

    He urged the council “to act without delay and authorize an international force, supported by the United Nations through logistical and operational backing, and predictable financing.”

    The U.N. chief warned the council that Haitians “are in a perfect storm of suffering,” pointing to crumbling state authority, gang violence spreading beyond the capital forcing families to flee, and hospitals and schools coming under repeated attack.

    “The humanitarian toll is staggering: 1.3 million people – half of them children – have fled their homes,” Guterres said. “Six million people need humanitarian assistance.”

    Yet, he said, the U.N. appeal for $908 million to help 3.9 million people this year is less than 10% funded, “making Haiti the least funded humanitarian appeal in the world.”

    Guterres called it “a life-and-death emergency,” warning that 1.7 million Haitians risk receiving no assistance at all unless donors act now.

    Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

    Share this @internewscast.com
    FacebookXRedditPinterest
    You May Also Like

    Comprehensive Roster: Candidates Submit Petitions for Washington County, TN Elections

    In Jonesborough, Tennessee, a pivotal moment arrived as prospective candidates faced the…
    • Internewscast
    • February 21, 2026
    Brazil and India agree to boost cooperation on rare earths
    • Local news

    Brazil and India Forge Strategic Partnership to Enhance Collaboration on Rare Earth Elements

    SAO PAULO – On Saturday, Brazil and India reached an important agreement…
    • Internewscast
    • February 21, 2026
    NYC nursing walkout ends as last striking nurses approve new contract
    • Local news

    Historic NYC Nursing Strike Ends: New Contract Promises Better Conditions and Care

    NEW YORK – A significant nursing strike has concluded as nurses at…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    US military airlifts small reactor as Trump pushes to quickly deploy nuclear power
    • Local news

    Trump Accelerates U.S. Nuclear Power Expansion: Military Airlifts Advanced Reactor for Rapid Deployment

    HILL AIR FORCE BASE, Utah – In an unprecedented move, the Pentagon,…
    • Internewscast
    • February 21, 2026
    President Trump wants to impose 15% tariff, up from 10% he announced after Supreme Court decision
    • Local news

    Trump Proposes Steeper 15% Tariff Hike Post-Supreme Court Ruling: Economic Implications Unveiled

    WASHINGTON – In a surprising turn of events, President Donald Trump announced…
    • Internewscast
    • February 21, 2026

    Elizabethton Resident Establishes Park in Memory of Late Daughter

    ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. (WJHL) – In a heartfelt tribute to his late daughter,…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    Stars descend on the BAFTA film awards, with 'One Battle' and 'Sinners' leading the race
    • Local news

    BAFTA Buzz: ‘One Battle’ and ‘Sinners’ Dominate the Spotlight as Stars Shine Bright

    LONDON – TO BE UPDATED AT 0500GMT SUNDAY The riveting political thriller…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    'Over her not going out with him': Man threatened his ex-girlfriend and broke into her home, then 'froze' as officers caught him 'climbing out of the bedroom window,' police say
    • Crime

    Shocking Home Intrusion: Man Arrested After Break-In Over Ex-Girlfriend’s Rejection

    Share An Oklahoma man has been accused of breaking into his ex-girlfriend’s…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    Pennsylvania high school student Zachariah Abraham Meyers accused of running 'large-scale' catfishing, sextortion scheme targeting 21 minors
    • US

    Pennsylvania Teen Allegedly Orchestrates Extensive Sextortion Scheme Involving 21 Minors

    An 18-year-old high school senior from Pennsylvania is now confronting numerous felony…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    NRL star Luke Bateman on why I'm A Celebrity will be his last show
    • Entertainment

    NRL Athlete Luke Bateman Reveals Why ‘I’m A Celebrity’ Marks His Final TV Appearance

    As the grand finale of “I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    US soldiers moved from Qatari base as Trump urged to strike Iran NOW
    • News

    Urgent Military Shift: US Troop Relocation from Qatar Amidst Rising Tensions with Iran

    In a development illustrating the rising tensions between the United States and…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    Internewscast Journal
    • Home
    • Privacy Policy
    • DMCA Notice
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Guest Post
    • Support Our Cause
    Copyright 2023. All Right Reserverd.