Share this @internewscast.com

Reports have emerged of Tehran residents vocally expressing dissent against the country’s clerical leadership, a day following significant opposition rallies held by Iranians living abroad. Demonstrators reportedly shouted slogans from their balconies and windows in a show of defiance.

Iran, under the rule of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, faced a wave of protests that intensified in January. Human rights organizations claim that during this period, security forces carried out a harsh crackdown, resulting in thousands of deaths.

Although street demonstrations have dwindled under the pressure of this crackdown, last week saw a shift in tactics. Residents in Tehran and other cities began to voice their opposition from the safety of their homes, chanting against the government from within large apartment complexes.

On Sunday night, the eastern Tehran district of Ekbatan witnessed another round of anti-government chants. According to the Shahrak Ekbatan social media account, which reports on local events, residents shouted phrases such as “death to Khamenei,” “death to the Islamic republic,” and “long live the shah.”

Reza Pahlavi, the ousted shah’s son, had encouraged such domestic demonstrations to coincide with international protests over the weekend.

Mass protests

The worldwide protests kicked off in New Zealand, where Deputy Prime Minister David Seymour addressed the crowds. He mentioned that discussions at the highest levels of government are underway to potentially follow Australia’s lead in designating the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps as a terrorist organization.

In November, the Australian government listed the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps of Iran as a “state sponsor of terrorism”.

The move came three months after the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation accused the group of orchestrating two separate arson attacks against Australia’s Jewish community.

At a rally in Sydney, protesters gathered to express support for Pahlavi and remember victims of the crackdown.

“They’re butchering our people, murdering people, killing them in the street,” one protester told SBS News.

Another protester in Sydney told SBS News there were risks to demonstrating outside of Iran.

“If they want to return back to visit their families they will be in danger,” he said.

Protests also took place in Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane.

Speaking to SBS News at the rally in Melbourne, Maryam Moazami said going about with normal life and routine has been especially difficult.

“I’ve been crying, you know, for so many days. I even didn’t want to wash my face. It’s not that we hate them, but it’s just that what they are doing to us is just so brutal,” she said.

“I can compare it to the Holocaust that has happened in Europe during the World War Two. So you can, you know, somehow compare and understand the level of brutality that we are facing in Iran right now.”

Around 250,000 people gathered at a rally in the southern German city of Munich, police said. In an unusual move, the demonstration was personally addressed by Pahlavi.

Pahlavi hailed the rally as the biggest such in years and said he was ready to lead a transition in Iran.

Monarchist supporters were also gladdened by an extremely rare public appearance at the rally by his sole surviving full sibling, his sister the former princess Farahnaz.

However, one protester in Munich said the Iranian people “do not want a dictatorship, neither the shah, nor the monarchy, nor the religious dictatorship that currently exists. We are here to demand a democratic and secular republic for the Iranian people.”

Other major rallies were held in diaspora strongholds, including Los Angeles and Toronto.

Pahlavi’s office said on X that over a million people had attended such rallies worldwide, but it was not immediately possible to confirm the figure.

The new actions come two days ahead of talks on Tuesday in Geneva between the US and Iran focused on the Iranian nuclear program, which are seen as crucial to determining if Washington goes ahead with military action against Tehran.

According to the latest toll issued by the US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency, over 7,000 people were killed during the protests, the vast majority protesters shot dead by security forces.

Almost 54,000 people have been arrested in a crackdown that is ongoing, it added.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Alleged Bondi Beach Shooter Naveed Akram Makes Initial Court Appearance

In Court: Bondi Attack Suspect Naveed Akram has addressed the court for…
police generic

Authorities Pursue Suspects in Widespread Parking Lot Scam Investigation

Two men are before the courts as police investigate an alleged theft…
The overlooked 500 per cent price increase blocking new housing

Hidden Costs: The 500% Price Surge Hindering New Home Construction

You’d imagine that in a country the size of Australia, finding new…

Urgent Search Resumes for Missing 4-Year-Old Gus Lamont in Remote Outback: Latest Updates

The investigation into the disappearance of four-year-old Gus Lamont has intensified as…
A man has been killed, thousands of properties are without power, and flights have been cancelled as wild storms lash large parts of New Zealand.

Severe Storms in New Zealand Claim One Life and Leave Tens of Thousands Without Power

A man has been killed, thousands of properties are without power and…
Angus Taylor and Jane Hume at a press conference

Angus Taylor Faces New Challenge as One Nation Matches Coalition Support

For the first time, One Nation is on level pegging with the…
Pictured: The benches on that have been branded 'unusable'

Critics Label London’s £4.6 Billion Super Sewer Garden as ‘Grim’ Due to ‘Unusable Benches’ and ‘Lifeless’ Design

The latest £4.6 billion sewer initiative in the capital has come under…

Angus Taylor’s Bold Immigration & Tax Strategy: Key Insights Before the Front Bench Reveal

Angus Taylor, the Opposition Leader, is preparing to introduce his revamped front…
A young woman has been left shaken after opening an online fashion order to discover it was crawling with ants and what appeared to be insect eggs

Outrageous Discovery: Shopper Shocked by Disturbing Find in Parcel from Australian Fashion Retailer

A young shopper experienced a disturbing surprise when she opened her online…
Undercover police have rammed a car in the middle of Melbourne after it was seen driving erratically.

Melbourne Chaos: Undercover Police Car Intercepts Reckless Driver in Dramatic City Center Clash

Undercover police have rammed a car in the middle of Melbourne after…

Can the Liberal Party Overcome Its Gender Challenges After Losing Its First Female Leader?

Sussan Ley, the first woman to lead the Liberal Party, was removed…
Mystery blast burns boats and forces restaurant to evacuate

Unexplained Explosion Ignites Boats and Triggers Restaurant Evacuation

A mystery blast has rocked a Perth harbour, destroying boats and forcing…