Bondi Beach hero Ahmed al-Ahmed back in hospital days after discharge

Ahmed Al Ahmed, who showed extraordinary bravery during the Bondi Beach terror incident, recently had the opportunity to meet with the NSW Premier and the Israeli Ambassador. This meeting took place at a luxury hotel and served as a moment of recognition for his heroic actions.

The 44-year-old became a hero when he confronted Sajid Akram, 50, who opened fire on attendees of a Jewish Hanukkah festival at the famed Bondi Beach. It was just before 7 p.m. on December 14 when Ahmed rushed to disarm Akram, potentially saving many lives. Unfortunately, in this courageous act, he was shot several times by Akram’s son, Naveed, who is accused of a horrific attack that left 15 dead and many others injured.

Having recently been released from the hospital, Ahmed underwent a final surgery over the weekend. During this procedure, doctors successfully removed a bullet from his shoulder and addressed significant nerve damage he suffered while struggling to seize the weapon from Akram. Despite these medical interventions, there is a possibility that Ahmed may endure permanent damage and may need additional surgeries in the future.

Sam Issa, Ahmed’s lawyer, confirmed that his client had returned to St George Hospital on Monday for a routine bandage change, marking another step in his recovery journey. The father-of-two remains a symbol of courage in the face of terror, although his path to full recovery is still unfolding.

Doctors removed a bullet from his shoulder and repaired nerve damage during his most recent surgery. It is believed the father-of-two may still suffer permanent damage and could require further surgery.

Mr Al Ahmed’s lawyer Sam Issa confirmed his client had returned to St George Hospital to have his bandages changed on Monday. 

The 44-year-old had returned to his luxury hotel room by lunchtime, where he was spotted by Daily Mail living the high life on the 33rd-floor balcony of a $6,000-a-night suite at the Barangaroo casino’s hotel in Sydney CBD. 

Mr Al Ahmed, still wearing a sling on his left arm, has been joined by his family at the suite as he comes to terms with his new wealth and fame. 

Ahmed Al-Ahmed, the hero who disarmed a gunman during the Bondi Beach terror attacks, has returned to hospital just days after being discharged

Ahmed Al-Ahmed, the hero who disarmed a gunman during the Bondi Beach terror attacks, has returned to hospital just days after being discharged

In the footage Mr Al Ahmed is seen disarming one of the gunmen

In the footage Mr Al Ahmed is seen disarming one of the gunmen

He received a visit from NSW Premier Chris Minns and Israeli Ambassador Amir Maimon on Tuesday. 

‘He’s doing okay at the moment but he had to go back to hospital for some further treatment,’ Mr Issa told The Australian.

‘He needed to have a check up on his condition and to have his bandages changed.

‘He actually came out of hospital a bit earlier than doctors would have liked but he really wanted to be with his family after two weeks in hospital.’

Footage of the incident saw Mr Al Ahmed hailed a hero across the globe, and sparked an online appeal which raised $2.5million, presented to him in hospital last week.

Now Mr Al Ahmed has finally spoken about his heroics in an interview with a US TV network, set to air overnight.

‘I did not worry about anything,’ he told Australian CBS News journalist Anna Coren.

‘My target was just to take the gun from him, and to stop him from killing a human being – and not killing innocent people.’ 

He was spotted on the balcony of the Crown Towers hotel after he was discharged from the hospital over the weekend

He was spotted on the balcony of the Crown Towers hotel after he was discharged from the hospital over the weekend

Despite being hailed as a hero, Mr Al Ahmed said his thoughts remain with those who did not survive.

‘I know I saved lots of people’s lives, innocent kids and women and men,’ he said. ‘I know I saved lots – but I still feel sorry for the lost.’

Dramatic footage showed him leap from behind a parked car to wrestle Sajid Akram to the ground, successfully disarming him before he was wounded in the crossfire of the firefight between police and the second gunman.

‘I jumped on his back, hit him,’ he said.

‘I hold him with my right hand and start saying a word, you know, like to warn him, drop your gun, stop doing what you’re doing, and it’s come all in fast.

‘And emotionally, I’m doing something, which is I feel something, a power in my body, my brain.

‘I don’t want to see people killed in front of me, I don’t want to hear his gun, I don’t want to see people screaming and begging, asking for help, and that’s my soul asking me to do that.’

Naveed Akram, 24, was charged with 59 offences including 15 counts of murder and 40 counts of wounding with intent to murder following the attack at Bondi Beach

Naveed Akram, 24, was charged with 59 offences including 15 counts of murder and 40 counts of wounding with intent to murder following the attack at Bondi Beach

The deadly attack at Bondi Beach unfolded as hundreds of people gathered for the Chanukah by the Sea event just before 7pm on December 14. 

Naveed Akram, 24, and his 50-year-old father Sajid allegedly opened fire with military-grade weapons on hundreds attending the first day of the Jewish festival.

During the nine-minute attack, 16 people, including gunman Sajid, were killed, and 42 others were injured.

The 15 victims included 10-year-old Matilda; Edith Brutman, 68; Dan Elkayam, 27; Boris Gurman, 69, and his wife Sofia, 61; Alex Kleytman, 87; Yaakov Levitan, 39; Peter Meagher, 61; Reuven Morrison, 62; Marika Pogany, 82; Rabbi Eli Schlanger, 41; Adam Smyth, 50; Boris Tetleroyd, 68; Tania Tretiak, 68; and Tibor Weitzen, 78.

Naveed, who allegedly shot at a crowd of hundreds alongside his father, spent two days in a coma after being shot by police.

His 50-year-old father, Sajid, was fatally shot by police.

The 24-year-old faced the Bail Division of Local Court Seven in Sydney from his hospital bed last week.

Naveed has been charged with 59 offences including 15 counts of murder and 40 counts of wounding with intent to murder. He did not appear or apply for bail during a brief bedside court hearing and the case was adjourned until April.

You May Also Like

El-Sayed’s Rarely Discussed Birth Mother Tied to Terror Charity

Michigan Democratic Senate candidate Abdul El-Sayed seldom brings up his birth mother…

Iran Mulls Strikes on European Military Targets, Report Says

Iran is reportedly examining plans to strike US military targets in Europe…

Tennis Fans React as Venus Williams Receives US Open Wild Card at 46

Venus Williams is poised to make another memorable appearance at the US…

Azerbaijan Sues CNN Over Alleged Fake Iran War Coverage

CNN has been hit with a defamation lawsuit over a June report…

Doctor Who Studied Homicidal Teens Killed; Daughter, Friends Accused

An Ohio physician who once co-authored research on the “homicidal adolescent” was…

King Charles Reportedly Blindsided by Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Move Back to Britain

King Charles is understood to have been caught off guard by news…

Teen Lifeguard Suffers Spinal Injury in San Diego Drill

A young San Diego lifeguard is facing a long and difficult recovery…

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Set to Move Back to the UK

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing to return to the United…

Police Swarm SC Home Tied to Hayden Panettiere’s Boyfriend

Police were seen arriving Wednesday morning at a South Carolina residence connected…

Forbes 30 Under 30 CEO Killed in Tragic Kenya Helicopter Crash

Roger Duarte, the chief executive previously recognized by Forbes 30 Under 30,…

Biden FBI Accused of Stunt to Hide Family Crime Claims

Republican senators are pressing senior intelligence and law enforcement officials in the…

Shoreham tragedy: Family died after girl became trapped in fishing net

A family outing at Shoreham beach ended in devastation after three people…