Pedestrian in his 80s killed in double-decker bus crash in Dublin

A tragic incident unfolded in Dublin as a double-decker bus collided with pedestrians, resulting in the death of a man in his 80s. This somber event took place on North Earl Street, a pedestrian-friendly area near the intersections with Talbot and Marlborough streets, shortly after midday on Thursday.

The elderly pedestrian succumbed to his injuries at the scene, while two other individuals, a man in his 20s and a woman in her 30s, were quickly transported to the hospital. Although their injuries were not life-threatening, the young man’s condition was described as serious.

The bus driver, a woman in her 50s, also sustained injuries that required hospital treatment, but her condition is not considered life-threatening.

Images captured at the aftermath of the crash depicted a Bus Eireann vehicle with a shattered windscreen, and a tent had been set up nearby as authorities responded to the scene.

The driver of the bus, a woman in her 50s, was also taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Photos of the scene showed the Bus Eireann vehicle with a smashed windscreen and a tent erected nearby. 

Ireland’s President Catherine Connolly said on Thursday: ‘May I further thank the emergency services for their swift attendance on the scene and send my best wishes to those injured and wish them a speedy recovery, as well as to all those impacted by today’s event.’

An Garda Siochana responded to the incident with Dublin Fire Brigade and ambulances.

A man has died and three others were taken to hospital after a double-decker bus crashed into pedestrians in Dublin

A man has died and three others were taken to hospital after a double-decker bus crashed into pedestrians in Dublin

The collision happened shortly after 12.30pm on Thursday, prompting a major emergency response as the area was sealed off

The collision happened shortly after 12.30pm on Thursday, prompting a major emergency response as the area was sealed off

Images show the front windscreen of the bus smashed, with a tent erected and a cordon put in place

 Images show the front windscreen of the bus smashed, with a tent erected and a cordon put in place

Gardai, who are treating the incident as a crash, said the probe into its cause is ongoing.

They have appealed for witnesses to to come forward.

Dublin Fire Brigade said more than 20 firefighters and advanced paramedics responded to the scene.

Luas Green Line services were suspended between Parnell Street and St Stephen’s Green for a time because of the incident, but reopened, initially with delays.

ESB and public lighting crews were also requested at the scene because a streetlight was down in the crash.

Bus Eireann said it was ‘deeply saddened’ to confirm there was a fatality and several injuries after its bus was involved in a ‘serious collision involving pedestrians’.

The company’s chief executive, Jean O’Sullivan, said: ‘We are profoundly saddened by this tragic incident.

‘On behalf of everyone at Bus Eireann, I extend our deepest condolences to the family of the deceased, and our thoughts are with all those affected at this very difficult time.’

Bus Eireann said it is offering its full support to the relevant authorities as their investigations continue and will provide any additional assistance required.

Dramatic video footage from the scene shows people screaming and rushing to try and help those trapped beneath the bus, as sirens wail in the background

Dramatic video footage from the scene shows people screaming and rushing to try and help those trapped beneath the bus, as sirens wail in the background

One witness who worked near the crash site told local media he heard a 'really big noise' before going out and calling the emergency services, adding that he saw one or two people trapped under the bus

One witness who worked near the crash site told local media he heard a ‘really big noise’ before going out and calling the emergency services, adding that he saw one or two people trapped under the bus

Tanaiste Simon Harris said he was ‘deeply saddened and shocked by the tragic bus crash in Dublin city centre this afternoon’.

‘My thoughts are with the family of the person killed and with those injured,’ Mr Harris said.

‘I am very grateful to our emergency services for their response.’

‘I want to reassure Dubliners that the situation is being actively managed, and I would ask the public to avoid the area to allow emergency services to carry out their work.’

Lord Mayor of Dublin, Ray McAdam, said: ‘My thoughts are with those who have been injured and with their families at this difficult time.

Sinn Fein leader Mary Lou McDonald, who is an elected TD for Dublin Central, said she was ‘devastated’ to learn of the crash and thanked emergency responders.

‘My thoughts are with the family of the deceased and all of the people who were struck or caught up in this collision, with their families, friends, and loved ones, and with everyone affected by what must be a very frightening experience.’

You May Also Like

Meghan Markle’s Rumored Guy Ritchie TV Role Faces Setback

Meghan Markle’s widely discussed return to scripted television has reportedly hit a…

New Immigration Data Reveals Scale of Overseas Arrivals

Melbourne’s post-pandemic population boom has been driven overwhelmingly by overseas migration, with…

Thoughtful Man Surprises California Deli Server With Heartwarming Gesture

A California deli server received an unexpected show of gratitude from a…

Bill Maher Praises Natalie Harp With Flattering On-Air Compliment

Bill Maher is pushing back against the wave of criticism aimed at…

NYC Parents Demand Hochul Resign Over Gowanus School Risk

Angry Brooklyn parents are calling on Gov. Kathy Hochul to step down,…

Hayden Panettiere’s Mom Shares Heartbreaking Airbnb Theory

Hayden Panettiere’s mother, Lesley Vogel, says she does not believe the version…

Former NBA Star Reveals Next Move After Surprise WNBA Draft Declaration

Enes Kanter Freedom, the 6-foot-10 former NBA center who has floated an…

Bronze Statue Stolen From Paramount Military Memorial in Brazen Theft

Veterans in a Los Angeles-area city are outraged after thieves ripped a…

YouTube Golf Stars Apologize After Backlash Over Tone-Deaf Ad

YouTube golf group Good Good has apologized and removed a new Callaway…

Strait of Hormuz Traffic Surges Nearly 400%, Data Shows

Iran’s influence over the Strait of Hormuz appears to be weakening as…

Portugal Bans Face Coverings in Public Under New Burqa Law

Portuguese President António José Seguro has signed into law a measure that…

Ivanka Trump’s Grueling Diet and Fitness Routine Revealed

Ivanka Trump has kept her summer style in the spotlight, repeatedly drawing…