American who was on doomed MV Hondius cruise reveals what it's like under 42-day hantavirus quarantine

American Survivor Recounts Harrowing 42-Day Hantavirus Quarantine After MV Hondius Cruise Disaster

An American who experienced the harrowing hantavirus outbreak aboard a cruise ship shared insights into the intense 42-day quarantine at the nation’s premier isolation facility, recounting the final moments of the ill-fated expedition.

Jake Rosmarin, a travel influencer from Boston, described the voyage on the MV Hondius as a dream journey that rapidly turned into a nightmare when the virus tragically claimed three lives in the cruise’s concluding days.

“We visited extraordinary places and had experiences I never imagined possible. Everything seemed fine until the last 24 to 48 hours before our planned disembarkation on May 4,” Rosmarin shared with News Nation.

The MV Hondius was anchored in Argentina when 69-year-old Leo Schilperoord was diagnosed with what appeared to be an Andes strain of the hantavirus, likely contracted during his bird-watching excursions in South America before the voyage.

Sadly, the virus took the lives of Schilperoord, his wife, and a German woman who had been in close contact with them.

Rosmarin, among those aboard the ill-fated ship, documented the ordeal on social media after the vessel reached Cape Verde, where disembarkation was denied to prevent further spread.

“I’m currently on board the MV Hondius, and what’s happening right now is very real,” an emotional Rosmarin told his followers at the time.

Now back in the US and on his seventh day of isolation at the University of Nebraska Medical Center’s National Quarantine Unit, in Omaha, Rosmarin said there’s nothing to do but wait for the 42-day quarantine period to end.

Rosmarin, who did not contract the virus, said the 17 Americans at the facility must remain inside their rooms, with individual ventilation systems in place to prevent any cross-contamination.

“Most of the day, we’re just spending in the room with nothing for us to do,” he told News Nation.

The only human contact he has is with medical staff during the morning and evening check-ins, as well as virtual town hall meetings with the staff to explain the ongoing situation.

“Other than that, it’s me just trying to keep myself busy, eating three meals a day, and family and friends have sent puzzles,” Rosmarin added.

At least one American initially tested positive for the hantavirus, with a second showing mild symptoms, according to the Department of Health and Human Services.

Stephen Kornfeld — the American who tested positive — has since tested negative, with officials believing he only exhibited a false positive after coming down with flu-like symptoms on the cruise.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Teacher Found Dead With Throat Slit as Husband’s Story Shifts - Internewscast Journal

Teacher Found Dead With Throat Slit as Husband’s Story Shifts

A Colorado elementary school teacher was discovered dead inside her Lakewood home,…
Alex Murdaugh defense team lied about polygraph results, prosecutors allege in new filing

Prosecutors Say Murdaugh Team Lied About Polygraph Results

A newly submitted court document suggests attorneys for Alex Murdaugh, the former…
Philadelphia woman says she used stage combat training to fight off masked man chasing residents

Philadelphia Woman Uses Stage Combat to Fend Off Masked Man

A Philadelphia woman says her art school training helped her react in…
Historic Keasbey Fire Department Dissolved After 118 Years Serving Woodbridge, NJ - Internewscast Journal

Historic Keasbey Fire Department Dissolved After 118 Years Serving Woodbridge, NJ

A century-old firehouse has been extinguished. A New Jersey fire department that…
U.S. Sanctions Crack Down on Ecuador Cocaine Smuggling Network - Internewscast Journal

U.S. Sanctions Crack Down on Ecuador Cocaine Smuggling Network

Washington — The United States announced a new round of sanctions Thursday…
Prince Harry Immigration Case Update as He and Meghan Markle Prepare to Leave the US - Internewscast Journal

Prince Harry Immigration Case Update as He and Meghan Markle Prepare to Leave the US

WASHINGTON — Questions over whether Prince Harry was fully candid on his…
Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw

Hours before Austin Metcalf was fatally stabbed, Karmelo Anthony’s former girlfriend had…
Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit - Internewscast Journal

Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit

A 13-year-old Montana boy died after he was allegedly thrown from a…
Woman Accused of Plotting: What the Allegation Means Now - Internewscast Journal

Woman Accused of Plotting: What the Allegation Means Now

Federal authorities said Thursday that an alleged terror plot targeting Albany was…
Schererville Power Outages Stretch Past Week; NIPSCO Responds - Internewscast Journal

Schererville Power Outages Stretch Past Week; NIPSCO Responds

LAKE COUNTY, Ind. () — Anger and exhaustion are growing in northwest…
Timeline: How 'Chucky' Mask Suspect Evaded Philadelphia Police - Internewscast Journal

Timeline: How ‘Chucky’ Mask Suspect Evaded Philadelphia Police

Surveillance video shows the tense moments a masked man, wearing a disturbing…
NC Girl Allegedly Kidnapped at Sleepover Rescued From Woods - Internewscast Journal

NC Girl Allegedly Kidnapped at Sleepover Rescued From Woods

A 12-year-old North Carolina girl was allegedly abducted by her friend’s uncle…