Authorities investigating a new social media post by a New Orleans jail escapee on the run

Authorities Probe Social Media Activity of New Orleans Jail Escapee on the Loose

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Officials stated on Thursday that they have started investigating a second social media post within a week that features a man claiming to be Antoine Massey, a fugitive who escaped from a New Orleans jail over two weeks ago and remains at large.

The recent Instagram post, allegedly published on Wednesday, depicts a man in front of a blue car, identifying himself with the hashtag “#AntoineMassey” and sporting identical, notable facial tattoos.

Authorities remain uncertain about the time and location of when the photo, said to be of Massey, was taken. Nonetheless, they “are approaching the post as genuine,” according to a senior law enforcement official. This official provided information to The Associated Press under the condition of anonymity, as they were not authorized to publicly speak about the investigation into the May 16 escape involving 10 inmates.

The group yanked up a faulty cell door, crawled through a hole in a wall behind a toilet where steel bars had been cut and then scaled a barbed wire fence using blankets for protection. It was one of the largest jailbreaks in recent U.S. history.

State and local officials have heaped criticism on the management of Orleans Parish Sheriff Susan Hutson, who has largely blamed the jailbreak on poor infrastructure and the inability to make needed improvements at the 10-year-old $150 million facility.

Eight of the escaped men have been apprehended, while Massey and another fugitive, convicted murderer Derrick Groves, remain on the run.

In the Instagram post, the person claiming to be Massey states he is “innocent.” Massey, 32, faces charges of kidnapping, rape, domestic battery involving strangulation and motor vehicle theft.

“We would encourage Mr. Massey to turn himself in and go through proper legal channels for his day in court,” said Deputy U.S. Marshal Brian Fair in an emailed statement. He added it was “unknown at this time” if Massey posted the photo or when it was taken.

Earlier this week, other videos made by Massey surfaced on social media, leading authorities to raid a New Orleans home a little over two miles (three kilometers) from the jail, where they believed the videos were produced. But they said they only found some of the clothing they believed he wore in the videos.

Louisiana Governor Jeff Landry urged Massey and Groves on Tuesday to “quit the hide-and-seek game” and turn themselves in.

You May Also Like

Masked Man Filmed Himself Chasing Residents as Screaming Victims Begged for Help, Police Say - Internewscast Journal

Masked Man Filmed Himself Chasing Residents as Screaming Victims Begged for Help, Police Say

Philadelphia police are searching for a masked suspect accused of terrorizing pedestrians…
American, United Jets Hit Tire Blowouts Hours Apart at O’Hare - Internewscast Journal

American, United Jets Hit Tire Blowouts Hours Apart at O’Hare

Two commercial flights suffered tire blowouts at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport on…
Texas Baby Born After Surrogate Refused Abortion Request Undergoes Complex Heart Surgery - Internewscast Journal

Texas Baby Born After Surrogate Refused Abortion Request Undergoes Complex Heart Surgery

A baby at the center of a high-profile surrogacy dispute has undergone…
Appeals Court Blocks ICE Arrests at Houses of Worship - Internewscast Journal

Appeals Court Blocks ICE Arrests at Houses of Worship

Washington — A federal appeals court on Tuesday kept in place a…
Hayden Panettiere Was Really Lonely, Struggling While Filming Last Movie, Co-Star Reveals - Internewscast Journal

Hayden Panettiere Was Really Lonely, Struggling While Filming Last Movie, Co-Star Reveals

Hayden Panettiere was “struggling” and “really lonely” during the making of what…
Abdul El-Sayed’s Mom Worked for Accused Terror-Funding Group - Internewscast Journal

Abdul El-Sayed’s Mom Worked for Accused Terror-Funding Group

Abdul El-Sayed, a progressive candidate in Michigan’s U.S. Senate race, is facing…
Mob Ransacks Family-Owned Bellflower Store During Chaotic Street Takeover - Internewscast Journal

Mob Ransacks Family-Owned Bellflower Store During Chaotic Street Takeover

A family-owned Bellflower business was left devastated after a large group of…
NASA Spots 60-Foot Moon Crater After SpaceX Booster Crash - Internewscast Journal

NASA Spots 60-Foot Moon Crater After SpaceX Booster Crash

A NASA spacecraft orbiting the moon has captured the clearest images so…
Jared Kushner Issues Hamas Ultimatum: Disarm or Face Israeli Offensive Backed by US - Internewscast Journal

Jared Kushner Issues Hamas Ultimatum: Disarm or Face Israeli Offensive Backed by US

U.S. special envoy Jared Kushner issued a blunt warning to Hamas on…
Florida Senate Showdown Set: Ashley Moody vs. Angie Nixon - Internewscast Journal

Florida Senate Showdown Set: Ashley Moody vs. Angie Nixon

Ashley Moody captured the Republican nomination Tuesday, brushing aside several lower-profile GOP…
Elderly Orca Found With Possible Shotgun Wounds Sparks Probe - Internewscast Journal

Elderly Orca Found With Possible Shotgun Wounds Sparks Probe

Unexplained injuries on one of the world’s oldest known orcas have prompted…
Socialist Candidate Sparks Representation Fight in Majority-Black Democratic Primary - Internewscast Journal

Socialist Candidate Sparks Representation Fight in Majority-Black Democratic Primary

Progressive Democratic congressional candidate Elijah Manley on Monday sharply criticized Rep. Debbie…