New weapons charges filed against suspect in deadly shooting at Bondi Beach Hanukkah festival

An Australian man implicated in the tragic Hanukkah celebration massacre at Sydney’s Bondi Beach, which resulted in the deaths of 15 individuals, is now facing an additional 19 charges, authorities announced on Wednesday.

Naveed Akram had already been charged with 59 offenses, which include murder, attempted murder, and executing a terrorist act, following the shocking December 2025 incident where two gunmen targeted the Jewish holiday gathering. Akram has yet to enter a plea in response to these charges.

The 24-year-old suspect was injured during the attack, while his father, Sajid Akram, aged 50, was killed in an exchange of gunfire with police, which ultimately brought the horrific event to an end. According to Australian police, the assault was motivated by the Islamic State group.

A floral tribute on the promenade at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Friday, Dec. 19, 2025, following Sunday's shooting.
A floral tribute on the promenade at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Friday, Dec. 19, 2025, following Sunday’s shooting.AP Photo/Steve Markham

On Wednesday, Akram was scheduled to make a virtual appearance from jail in Sydney’s Downing Center Local Court. This procedural hearing was set to address a gag order that protects the identities of the attack’s victims and survivors, who have not publicly identified themselves.

Since his previous court appearance, an additional 19 charges were filed against Akram on April 15, court staff confirmed on Wednesday. These new charges include 10 counts of shooting with intent to murder and six counts of discharging a firearm with intent to resist arrest.

According to earlier court documents, the attack allegedly commenced when the assailants hurled improvised explosive devices at the Hanukkah crowd at one of Australia’s most iconic beaches. Fortunately, the devices failed to detonate. Police also discovered a larger explosive device in the trunk of Naveed Akram’s vehicle, which was decorated with flags of the Islamic State group.

The police investigation is one of three official inquiries examining Australia’s worst alleged terrorist attack and the nation’s deadliest mass shooting in 29 years.

Another one, which examined how law enforcement and intelligence agencies interacted before the attack produced an interim report in April urging stricter gun controls. It was part of a wider royal commission, Australia’s highest form of public inquiry, which is investigating the nature and prevalence of antisemitism in daily life as well as the circumstances of the Bondi shooting. The commission began its public hearings on Monday.

Copyright © 2026 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Historic Keasbey Fire Department Dissolved After 118 Years Serving Woodbridge, NJ - Internewscast Journal

Historic Keasbey Fire Department Dissolved After 118 Years Serving Woodbridge, NJ

A century-old firehouse has been extinguished. A New Jersey fire department that…
Philadelphia woman says she used stage combat training to fight off masked man chasing residents

Philadelphia Woman Uses Stage Combat to Fend Off Masked Man

A Philadelphia woman says her art school training helped her react in…
Alaska Charter Plane Carrying 8 Crashes Near Remote Radar Site - Internewscast Journal

Alaska Charter Plane Carrying 8 Crashes Near Remote Radar Site

A charter aircraft with eight people aboard went down Thursday as it…
Aisha Wahab Wins California Special Election to Fill Eric Swalwell’s Congressional Seat - Internewscast Journal

Aisha Wahab Wins California Special Election to Fill Eric Swalwell’s Congressional Seat

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California legislator Aisha Wahab won Thursday’s special election…
Police ID Chucky-Mask Suspect Accused of Terrorizing Philly Women - Internewscast Journal

Police ID Chucky-Mask Suspect Accused of Terrorizing Philly Women

Philadelphia police say they have identified the masked suspect accused of frightening…
Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing - Internewscast Journal

Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing

Karmelo Anthony received a 35-year prison sentence after being convicted of fatally…
Family Checks Vegas Morgues for Missing New York Grandmother - Internewscast Journal

Family Checks Vegas Morgues for Missing New York Grandmother

The daughter of a New York grandmother who disappeared during a trip…
Woman Accused of Plotting: What the Allegation Means Now - Internewscast Journal

Woman Accused of Plotting: What the Allegation Means Now

Federal authorities said Thursday that an alleged terror plot targeting Albany was…
Two missing children rescued from trailer as police arrest babysitter on kidnapping charges

Missing Children Found in Trailer; Babysitter Arrested for Kidnapping

Police rescue kidnapped baby and toddler from hot Atlanta trailer Atlanta police…
Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit - Internewscast Journal

Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit

A 13-year-old Montana boy died after he was allegedly thrown from a…
Bloodied, ejected Marine Corps pilot seen calm and collected after Washington crash destroys aircraft

Bloodied Marine Pilot Calm After Ejecting in Washington Crash

Newly released bodycam video shows Marine Corps F-18 pilot Maj. Jackson Simon…
Dramatic Video Shows Civilians in Mass Shooting Simulation - Internewscast Journal

Dramatic Video Shows Civilians in Mass Shooting Simulation

The training exercise quickly took a chaotic turn. A Florida sheriff’s office…