Marimar Martinez shooting: Judge rules to release bodycam video, photos from fed agents in Brighton Park shooting

In a significant legal development, a federal judge has mandated the release of body camera footage and additional evidence related to the shooting of a Chicago woman by an immigration agent during last year’s “Operation Midway Blitz.” This decision marks a pivotal moment in the ongoing saga surrounding the incident.

Marimar Martinez, the woman at the center of this case, was shot five times by U.S. Border Patrol agent Charles Exum. Subsequently, she faced arrest on accusations of assaulting federal agents. However, those charges were eventually dismissed by federal prosecutors, with the case being closed permanently by the judge.

Martinez’s quest for justice didn’t end there. The recent fatal shootings of Renee Good and Alex Pretti by immigration agents in Minneapolis spurred her to take action. Motivated by these events, she sought the court’s intervention to release evidence from her previously dismissed case, aiming to clear her name. Despite her background as a Montessori school teacher with no criminal record, Department of Homeland Security officials had labeled her a “domestic terrorist,” a title she fervently disputes.

In response to her motion, U.S. District Judge Georgia Alexakis ruled in Martinez’s favor, allowing for the modification of a protective order that had been in place. This decision paves the way for the release of critical evidence, including videos, photographs, reports, and text messages from Agent Exum, which are expected to be made public as early as next week.

The incident that sparked this legal battle occurred on October 4, 2025, in Chicago’s Southwest Side near 39th Street and Kedzie Avenue. It unfolded after Martinez followed federal agents for several blocks, leading to a collision that caused minor damage to both vehicles. This encounter set off a chain of events that has now culminated in the impending release of evidence, which many hope will shed light on the true nature of the events that transpired.

Federal agents shot Martinez on Oct. 4, 2025, near 39th Street and Kedzie Avenue on the Southwest Side, after Martinez had followed the agents for several blocks before the vehicles collided, resulting in minor dents and scrapes on both vehicles.

Homeland Security officials claimed Martinez rammed into a federal agent’s vehicle and accused her of assault.

But Martinez’s attorney Christopher Parente says the soon-to-be-released evidence proves she did not assault anybody.

In a surveillance footage clip shared with the ABC7 Chicago I-Team, Parente says the agent’s car stops just out of frame, when Agent Exum fires at Martinez. Martinez’s vehicle can be seen driving past the agent, which Parente argues proves she was not boxing in the agents’ vehicle.

Federal prosecutors objected to the release of the evidence, arguing it could further damage Agent Exum’s reputation.

But at the Dirksen courthouse Friday morning, Judge Alexakis argued the federal government has not considered the reputation of Martinez, who has no criminal history.

“I don’t understand why the United States government has expressed zero concern about the sullying of Miss Martinez’s reputation,” Alexakis said. “She’s a United States citizen. And under our legal system, it bears repeating, she’s presumed innocent of any offense for which she has not been convicted.”

The judge ultimately ruled that Martinez argued good cause for release of the images and video from the shooting, FBI investigation reports and at least 40 text messages sent and received from the agent following the shooting.

“They communicate his impression of the relevant events,” Judge Alexakis said. “They bear on his credibility; they have impeachment value.”

The federal judge brought up other text messages Exum sent to friends and family that were released in the case last fall, in which Exum appeared to boast about his shooting skills.

“I fired 5 rounds and she had 7 holes. Put that in your book, boys,” one of those messages said.

After the hearing, Martinez’s attorney Parente said they were pleased the judge saw the value in releasing this evidence to the public, given recent examples of violent and disproportionate use-of-force by immigration agents.

“These are people that are sworn to protect U.S. citizens. There is a respect for life policy with Border Patrol. And this man, after shooting a woman who did nothing, is going to text his friends and joke about it, brag about it, ‘put it in your book,’” Parente said. “That is not what this country stands for. And thankfully, this judge said, ‘I am not going to protect him from himself.’”

Martinez testified on Capitol Hill earlier this week, saying her living testimony is evidence of a pattern of lies told by the federal government.

“I saw my life flash before me, and slowly began to think this was the end for me,” Martinez said.

She said she believes she survived the shooting so she could share her story, following the shooting deaths of Good and Pretti.

Court filings state Martinez will also be attending President Donald Trump’s State of the Union address as a guest of Congressman Jesus “Chuy” Garcia.

“The mental scars will always be there as a reminder of the time my own government attempted to execute me. And when they failed, they chose to vilify me,” Martinez told lawmakers. “I am Renee Good. I am Alex Pretti. I am Silverio Villegas González. I am Keith Porter. They should all be here today.”

According to previous court testimony in this case, federal prosecutors revealed there is an “ongoing and pending criminal investigation” into the Martinez shooting, with an outside U.S. Attorney’s office still retaining possession of Martinez’s car.

Martinez’s attorney Parente said they simply want the government to acknowledge that she is not a “domestic terrorist.”

“You can’t call a U.S. citizen with no criminal history who’s a Montessori school teacher, a ‘domestic terrorist,’ which is such a loaded word in this in this country, and repeat it over and over as late as yesterday,” Parente said.

DHS officials have said they still stand by their previous statements.

“You’re going to see in the discovery itself some really good things that just completely destroy the credibility of the narrative that she drove at these agents,” Parente told reporters after court. “You can hear five shots within two seconds of him opening his door, which again is quite alarming that we have Border Patrol agents jumping out of a car, within two seconds shooting.”

Copyright © 2026 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.

You May Also Like

Education Secretary Linda McMahon Says 1 in 10 Children Face Sexual Abuse Before Graduation - Internewscast Journal

Education Secretary Linda McMahon Says 1 in 10 Children Face Sexual Abuse Before Graduation

WASHINGTON — Education Secretary Linda McMahon said Sunday that federal education officials…
Young Bear Falls From Denver Tree After Wildlife Officers Tranquilize It in Dramatic Rescue - Internewscast Journal

Young Bear Falls From Denver Tree After Wildlife Officers Tranquilize It in Dramatic Rescue

A young black bear had a jarring fall from a tree in…
Rep. Emmer: Tim Walz Mining Ban Boosts China, Kills Jobs - Internewscast Journal

Rep. Emmer: Tim Walz Mining Ban Boosts China, Kills Jobs

House Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-MN) sharply criticized Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz’s…
Canadian PM Mark Carney Says Canada Is “At War” With Trump Over Trade After Tariff Dispute - Internewscast Journal

Canadian PM Mark Carney Says Canada Is “At War” With Trump Over Trade After Tariff Dispute

WASHINGTON — The trade fight between the United States and Canada is…
NBA Hopeful Who Survived Cardiac Arrest Wins Key Court Victory - Internewscast Journal

NBA Hopeful Who Survived Cardiac Arrest Wins Key Court Victory

This one came down to the wire. Vincent Iwuchukwu, the pro basketball…
California Hawk Fire Triggers Urgent Evacuation Warnings - Internewscast Journal

California Hawk Fire Triggers Urgent Evacuation Warnings

A rapidly spreading wildfire near the Tahoe region has grown to about…
NYC Leaders Slam DSA Boss Gustavo Gordillo’s $1.5M Reno - Internewscast Journal

NYC Leaders Slam DSA Boss Gustavo Gordillo’s $1.5M Reno

A high-end renovation plan for Brooklyn transplant and NYC Democratic Socialists of…
Beloved Jewish Teacher, Mom of 4 Dies in Long Island Pool Crash - Internewscast Journal

Beloved Jewish Teacher, Mom of 4 Dies in Long Island Pool Crash

A Long Island community is mourning the death of Allison Rahmani, a…
Free Mickey & Me Kids Sports Clinic Comes to Chicago’s ComEd Rec Center With ESPN, Disney Jr. and ABC7 - Internewscast Journal

Free Mickey & Me Kids Sports Clinic Comes to Chicago’s ComEd Rec Center With ESPN, Disney Jr. and ABC7

CHICAGO () — Music, cheers from young participants and a special visit…
Santa Paula Punch Bowls Crowds Surge: What Visitors Should Know - Internewscast Journal

Santa Paula Punch Bowls Crowds Surge: What Visitors Should Know

A breathtaking natural swimming hole hidden deep inside a Southern California canyon…
Karmelo Anthony fights for new trial as lawyers clash over unwritten deal that shaped case

Judge Denies Karmelo Anthony New Trial Over Lawyer Dispute

A Texas judge on Saturday denied Karmelo Anthony’s bid for a new…
At Least 17 Shot, 4 Killed in Chicago Weekend Gun Violence - Internewscast Journal

At Least 17 Shot, 4 Killed in Chicago Weekend Gun Violence

CHICAGO () — At least 17 people have been wounded in shootings…