Judge rules Prince Harry was not unfairly stripped of U.K. security detail after he moved to the U.S.

LONDON — Prince Harry was not improperly stripped of his publicly funded security detail during visits to Britain after he gave up his status as a working member of the royal family and moved to the U.S., a London judge ruled Wednesday.

Justice Peter Lane said in the High Court that the decision to provide security to Harry on a case-by-case basis was not unlawful, irrational or unjustified.

The Duke of Sussex claimed he and his family were endangered when visiting the U.K. because of hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by news media.

His lawyer argued that the government group that evaluated Harry’s security needs acted irrationally and failed to follow its own policies that should have required a risk analysis of the duke’s safety.

A government lawyer said Harry had been treated fairly and was still provided protection on some visits, citing a security detail that guarded him in June 2021 when he was chased by photographers after attending an event with seriously ill children at Kew Gardens in west London.

The committee that made the decision to reject his security request considered the wider impact that the “tragic death” of his mother, the late Princess Diana, had on the nation, and in making its decision gave greater weight to the “likely significant public upset were a successful attack” on her son to happen, attorney James Eadie said.

Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, has broken ranks with royal family tradition in his willingness to go to court to challenge both the government and take on tabloids in his effort to hold publishers accountable for hounding him throughout his life.

The lawsuit was one of six cases Harry has brought in the High Court. Three were related to his security arrangements and three have been against tabloid publishers for allegedly hacking phones and using private investigators to snoop on his life for news stories.

In his first case to go to trial, Harry won a big victory last year against the publisher of the Daily Mirror over phone hacking allegations, winning a judgment in court and ultimately settling remaining allegations that were due to go to trial. While the settlement was undisclosed, he was to be reimbursed for all his legal fees and was due to receive an interim payment of 400,000 pounds ($505,000).

He recently withdrew a libel case against the Daily Mail over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to continue receiving government-funded security. Harry dropped the case after a judge ruled he was more likely to lose at trial because the publisher could show that statements issued on his behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.

Harry failed to persuade a different judge last year that he should be able to privately pay for London’s police force to guard him when he comes to town. A judge denied that offer after a government lawyer argued that officers shouldn’t be used as “private bodyguards for the wealthy.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

California School Closures Accelerate as Student Enrollment Plummets Statewide - Internewscast Journal

California School Closures Accelerate as Student Enrollment Plummets Statewide

California is seeing a troubling wave of school closures. For more than…
Luigi Mangione’s New York Murder Trial Delayed Until December Amid Double Jeopardy Concerns - Internewscast Journal

Luigi Mangione’s New York Murder Trial Delayed Until December Amid Double Jeopardy Concerns

Luigi Mangione pleads guilty in federal case Luigi Mangione has pleaded guilty…
Nancy Guthrie's abductor may have returned to the crime scene, left critical clues at tribute: expert

Nancy Guthrie Ransom Notes Reveal Repeated Writing Quirks That Could Help Identify Suspect, Expert Says

Two messages believed to be linked to the suspected abduction of Nancy…
Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens as Keffe D Faces Jury - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens as Keffe D Faces Jury

Opening statements have concluded in the murder trial of Duane “Keffe D”…
WNBA Says Atlanta Security Was Wrong to Ask Mother and Daughter to Cover XX-XY Athletics Shirts - Internewscast Journal

WNBA Says Atlanta Security Was Wrong to Ask Mother and Daughter to Cover XX-XY Athletics Shirts

The WNBA and the Atlanta Dream have both criticized a security decision…
Mob Ransacks Family-Owned Bellflower Store During Chaotic Street Takeover - Internewscast Journal

Mob Ransacks Family-Owned Bellflower Store During Chaotic Street Takeover

A family-owned Bellflower business was left devastated after a large group of…
Jared Bridegan Murder Trial Live Updates: First Case in His Killing Enters Day 2 - Internewscast Journal

Jared Bridegan Murder Trial Live Updates: First Case in His Killing Enters Day 2

Mario Fernandez-Saldana, accused of helping plan the 2022 shooting death of St.…
36 Poop-Covered Border Collies Rescued in Florida Get New Start - Internewscast Journal

36 Poop-Covered Border Collies Rescued in Florida Get New Start

Dozens of Border Collies found coated in feces inside what officials described…
Crosstown Classic Score: Cubs-White Sox Thriller Ends 7-5 as Chicago Eyes World Series Hopes - Internewscast Journal

Crosstown Classic Score: Cubs-White Sox Thriller Ends 7-5 as Chicago Eyes World Series Hopes

CHICAGO () — The Chicago White Sox and Chicago Cubs met Monday…
Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens in Las Vegas Over Rapper’s 1996 Killing - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens in Las Vegas Over Rapper’s 1996 Killing

Nearly three decades after Tupac Shakur was gunned down in Las Vegas,…
IPOs for Open AI, Anthropic could unlock $430B for charity

OpenAI, Anthropic IPOs Could Unleash $430B for Charity

The anticipated public listings of OpenAI and Anthropic could set off one…
Virginia Man Acquitted by Insanity Flees U.S. on Hospital Pass - Internewscast Journal

Virginia Man Acquitted by Insanity Flees U.S. on Hospital Pass

A Virginia man who was found not guilty by reason of insanity…