LA Mayor Bass dodges question on whether all illegal immigrants in city should be allowed to stay

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass skillfully avoided giving a clear answer on whether all undocumented immigrants in the sanctuary city should remain.

During an interview on ABC’s “This Week,” Bass also expressed disapproval of President Donald Trump’s decision to nationalize 4,000 National Guard troops and send about 700 Marines to Los Angeles in the wake of protests and riots against Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). When questioned by ABC host Martha Raddatz about her stance on deportation, particularly concerning the city’s roughly one million “undocumented workers,” she focused on those convicted of crimes.

“What should happen to those people?” Raddatz asked. 

Bass explained, “Since we are a city full of immigrants, numerous sectors of our economy depend on immigrant labor. We need to rebuild fire-affected areas, and this won’t be possible without the help of immigrant workers,” she said. “The deportations alone aren’t the issue; it’s also about the fear that follows. People get scared during raids and when individuals are taken off the streets. It’s important to note that even individuals here legally, including U.S. citizens, have been detained.”

Raddatz noted that “hundreds of thousands” of people illegally crossed the border under the Biden administration. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) figures, however, recorded about 10.8 million border encounters and roughly two million more known “got-a-ways” during Biden’s term. Trump, meanwhile, has reported record-low border crossings since he began his second term. 

When asked if there’s “anything good” she thinks the Trump administration has done in these six months at the border, Bass said, “Well, I will keep praise on the administration for the first six months in Los Angeles with the fires. If you ask me, is there anything that they have done good in terms of immigration, I don’t know. I don’t think so. I think that the viewpoint has been punitive, has been, let’s make it as miserable as possible so that these people don’t come.” 

Bass said she has not recently had conversations with the Trump administration regarding immigration despite the National Guard presence in the city.

National Guard line their shields in LA

U.S. Marines and National Guard in Los Angeles, California on July 4, 2025.  (ETIENNE LAURENT/AFP via Getty Images)

“I have put in a request and I hope to. I will always be open to a conversation,” the mayor said. “I want to work with the administration to solve this problem. We have the World Cup in 11 short months here. We have Olympics and Paralympics coming in three short years. I know that these games are very important to the president and I look forward to working with him, and we have an extreme difference on this issue, but there’s many issues for us to work on, and I will continue trying to outreach to the administration and hope that at some point they’ll be responsive.” 

The mayor also responded to how she hopes the next six months to two years will be for immigrants in Los Angeles, taking a dig at what she deemed the Trump administration’s “reign of terror.” 

The Pentagon last week announced it was pulling 2,000 National Guard troops from Los Angeles, citing how the “lawlessness” seen in early June anti-ICE riots has subsided. 

“Well, I am just hoping that this reign of terror ends. I’m hoping that the military leaves because they were never needed here to begin with,” Bass said. “I hope that we can get back to normal.”

You May Also Like

Angie Nixon Claims GOP Is Threatening Black Americans’ Lives - Internewscast Journal

Angie Nixon Claims GOP Is Threatening Black Americans’ Lives

The Department of Homeland Security on Friday pushed back against claims from…
Iran Fills Key Posts With Loyalists After Ranks Are Gutted, Raising Competence Concerns - Internewscast Journal

Iran Fills Key Posts With Loyalists After Ranks Are Gutted, Raising Competence Concerns

Report suggests IRGC commander holds power, linked to multiple terror attacks IRGC…
Connecticut Police Officers Shot; Suspect Killed After Chase - Internewscast Journal

Connecticut Police Officers Shot; Suspect Killed After Chase

Two Connecticut police officers were wounded and a suspect was fatally shot…
Alfalfa Sprouts Recalled as E. Coli, Salmonella Hit 15 States - Internewscast Journal

Alfalfa Sprouts Recalled as E. Coli, Salmonella Hit 15 States

Federal health officials said Friday that a multistate outbreak involving E. coli…
Trump administration sanctions sitting president of the International Criminal Court for 'abuses of power'

Trump Administration Sanctions International Criminal Court President, Citing Abuses of Power

Mamdani, Netanyahu and the ICC Paul Gigot joined Wall Street Journal commentators…
Charles Manson's granddaughter reveals moment she discovered dark family secret: 'It was devastating'

Charles Manson’s Granddaughter Reveals How She Learned Her Family’s Dark Secret: ‘It Was Devastating’

In 2022, Sophia Maddox got the kind of phone call that can…
Nashville hospital medication error leaves at least 1 patient paralyzed after routine surgery, 3 others hurt

Nashville Hospital Medication Error Paralyzes Patient, Injures 3

HHS decertifies Kentucky organ donor network over near-harvesting incident The Department of…
Tupac Shakur murder trial's first week sees heated testimony from reluctant witnesses with old gangland ties

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens With Heated Testimony From Reluctant Witnesses With Gang Ties

The opening week of the long-awaited murder trial in Tupac Shakur’s killing…
GOP Rep. Van Drew Blasts Filibuster as Harmful Obstruction - Internewscast Journal

GOP Rep. Van Drew Blasts Filibuster as Harmful Obstruction

Rep. Jeff Van Drew (R-NJ) used a Friday appearance on Fox Business…
17-Year-Old Victim Identified After Shooting at Bakersfield High School Football Game; 15-Year-Old Arrested - Internewscast Journal

17-Year-Old Victim Identified After Shooting at Bakersfield High School Football Game; 15-Year-Old Arrested

A 17-year-old former high school quarterback once seen as a rising football…
Military Sexual Assault Reports Drop for Third Year, Pentagon Says - Internewscast Journal

Military Sexual Assault Reports Drop for Third Year, Pentagon Says

Both formal sexual assault reports and the Pentagon’s estimated count of sexual…
UK Home Office guide tells asylum seekers not to rape, harass women or make kissing noises

UK Home Office Guide Tells Asylum Seekers Not to Harass Women

A guidance booklet issued by Britain’s Home Office tells asylum seekers that…