SpaceX launches Dragon cargo ship on unpiloted flight to space station

On Friday, SpaceX successfully launched an unmanned Dragon cargo spacecraft, carrying 6,500 pounds of supplies and equipment destined for the International Space Station. Among the cargo, nearly a ton is dedicated to research equipment, samples, and materials for around 50 scientific studies.

After a three-day delay due to inclement weather, the Falcon 9 rocket powering the Dragon roared to life at 6:05 p.m. ET. The launch took place from pad 40 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, sending the rocket northeast to align with the space station’s orbit.

Two and a half minutes post-launch, the rocket’s first stage, on its sixth mission, detached and made a precise return landing near the launch site. Meanwhile, the second stage propelled the Cargo Dragon into orbit, releasing it to continue its journey independently nine minutes and 20 seconds after liftoff.

This launch marked SpaceX’s 638th Falcon 9 mission since the rocket’s inception in 2010. It was also the company’s 56th launch this year and the 611th successful recovery of a booster.

“This mission marks the first time a Cargo Dragon spacecraft is making its sixth trip to the station, which is quite a milestone,” stated Bill Spetch, ISS operations integration manager at Johnson Space Center. “We are delivering over 6,000 pounds of hardware, supplies, and science experiments to our Expedition 74 crew.”

Spetch added, “The mission includes vital water purification equipment and research aimed at enhancing our understanding of space weather.”

A camera on the Falcon 9 first stage shows the view looking down as it neared its Cape Canaveral landing pad, while a camera on the ground captured a dramatic view of the lander’s final descent.

NASA/SpaceX


It was SpaceX’s 638th Falcon 9 launch since the rocket’s debut in 2010, the company’s 56th such flight so far this year and its 611th successful booster recovery.

The first stage completed its sixth flight with a picture-perfect touchdown at Landing Zone 40 near the rocket’s Cape Canaveral Space Force Station launch pad.

NASA/SpaceX


“This will be the first Cargo Dragon spacecraft to head to the station for a sixth time, so a great milestone there,” said Bill Spetch, ISS operations integration manager at the Johnson Space Center. “We’re sending over 6,000 pounds of hardware, supplies, science experiments and more to our Expedition 74 crew.

“This mission includes everything from water purification hardware to research that helps us better understand space weather,” Spetch said. 

If all goes well, the Cargo Dragon will complete an automated rendezvous with the station early Sunday, moving in for docking at the front end of the forward Harmony module around 7 a.m.

Once hatches are opened, the spacecraft will be unloaded by Crew 12 commander Jessica Meir and her three crewmates, pilot Jack Hathaway, European Space Agency astronaut Sophie Adenot and cosmonaut Andrey Fedyaev.

Also on board the station as part of the seven-member Expedition 74 crew: Soyuz MS-28/74S commander Sergey Kud-Sverchkov, fellow cosmonaut Sergey Mikaev and NASA astronaut Chris Williams.

The Cargo Dragon is delivering more than 3 tons of equipment and supplies, including 1,363 pounds of crew clothing, food and other essentials; more than 1,000 pounds of vehicle hardware, 282 pounds of spacewalk components, 186 pounds of computer gear and 1,834 pounds of research equipment and samples.

101226-nasa-crs34-manifest.jpg

NASA


“The ISS has enabled more than 4,000 different science experiments and technology demonstrations in its 25 years on orbit,” said Liz Warren, deputy chief scientist for the space station program. “And that represents the work of over 5,000 researchers from 110 countries around the world.

“The International Space Station is a truly global endeavor. It serves both as a proving ground for scientific breakthroughs and as a critical stepping stone to help enable the Artemis program, lunar exploration and future Mars missions,” Warren said.

The next major milestone for the space station program comes in July. Soyuz MS-29 commander Pyotr Dubrov, fellow cosmonaut Anna Kikina and NASA astronaut Anil Menon are scheduled to blast off from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on July 14. They will replace Kud-Sverchkov and his two Soyuz MS-28 crewmates.

Launch of a Russian Progress cargo ship is expected in early September, followed by the launch of NASA’s Crew 13 — Jessica Watkins, Luke Delaney, Canadian astronaut Joshua Kutryk and cosmonaut Sergey Teteryatnikov — aboard a SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule on Sept. 12. They will replace Crew 12.

Three more cargo flights are expected before the end of the year, with crew rotation flights resuming in early 2027.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit - Internewscast Journal

Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit

A 13-year-old Montana boy died after he was allegedly thrown from a…
Minneapolis Police Probe Third Body in Three-Day Death String - Internewscast Journal

Minneapolis Police Probe Third Body in Three-Day Death String

Authorities in Minneapolis are investigating a series of body recoveries across the…
Timeline: How 'Chucky' Mask Suspect Evaded Philadelphia Police - Internewscast Journal

Timeline: How ‘Chucky’ Mask Suspect Evaded Philadelphia Police

Surveillance video shows the tense moments a masked man, wearing a disturbing…
Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw

Hours before Austin Metcalf was fatally stabbed, Karmelo Anthony’s former girlfriend had…
King Charles Learned of Harry and Meghan’s UK Return Days Ago - Internewscast Journal

King Charles Learned of Harry and Meghan’s UK Return Days Ago

King Charles was reportedly caught off guard by Prince Harry and Meghan…
Harvard Reaches $53M Settlement With Families Over Stolen Donated Body Parts Sold on Black Market - Internewscast Journal

Harvard Reaches $53M Settlement With Families Over Stolen Donated Body Parts Sold on Black Market

Harvard University has reached a proposed $53 million settlement with families who…
FBI arrests woman who allegedly plotted ISIS-linked attack on New York state Capitol building

FBI Arrests Woman Accused of Plotting ISIS-Linked Attack on New York State Capitol

A New York woman allegedly planned to bomb the New York State…
Judge Weighs New Trial for Karmelo Anthony After Legal Win - Internewscast Journal

Judge Weighs New Trial for Karmelo Anthony After Legal Win

A Texas judge is set to weigh on Thursday whether teenager Karmelo…
Two missing children rescued from trailer as police arrest babysitter on kidnapping charges

Missing Children Found in Trailer; Babysitter Arrested for Kidnapping

Police rescue kidnapped baby and toddler from hot Atlanta trailer Atlanta police…
Marc Jacobs Faces Backlash for Saying He’d Dress ‘Trendsetter’ Luigi Mangione at Murder Trial - Internewscast Journal

Marc Jacobs Faces Backlash for Saying He’d Dress ‘Trendsetter’ Luigi Mangione at Murder Trial

Marc Jacobs is facing backlash after saying he would be willing to…
Melania Trump Teams Up With IndyCar to Expand Scholarships for Foster Youth - Internewscast Journal

Melania Trump Teams Up With IndyCar to Expand Scholarships for Foster Youth

WASHINGTON — Melania Trump is set to unveil a fresh slate of…
Bronx man accused of attacking Shabbat worshippers admitted motive in recorded interview, feds say

Feds Say Bronx Shabbat Attack Suspect Admitted Motive on Tape

A Bronx resident facing federal hate crime charges after a violent disturbance…