Court rejects Trump request to pause E. Jean Carroll case proceedings

A federal appeals court on Thursday denied former President Donald Trump’s request to halt proceedings in the upcoming E. Jean Carroll defamation trial.

In a court filing last week, Trump’s attorneys asked the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to delay the case for 90 days while he considered appealing the court’s previous rejection of his efforts to use presidential immunity as a defense.

The appeals court denied that request on Thursday, allowing the trial to begin Jan. 16.

Trump’s request for a pause in the proceedings came after the appeals court unanimously ruled that the former president had waited too long — three years — to raise his presidential immunity defense in the defamation trial.

Trump had argued that he couldn’t be sued for remarks he made in 2019 about Carroll and the claims of sexual assault against him because he was president at the time. He also contended that his comments were related to his official duties as president because he needed to speak publicly about the accusations being false.

The court noted that while Carroll filed her defamation suit in November 2019, followed by Trump’s response in January 2020, he didn’t bring up the presidential immunity defense until January 2023. Allowing him to use that defense now would cause “undue prejudice” to Carroll, the judges said in their ruling.

The upcoming trial is the second one involving Trump and Carroll, a magazine writer who alleged Trump raped her in the mid-1990s and defamed her after she spoke out publicly with her accusations in 2019. Trump has repeatedly denied the allegations. A jury this year found Trump liable for sexual abuse and defamation and awarded Carroll $5 million in damages, a verdict Trump is appealing.

The second trial centers on remarks Trump made about Carroll during his presidency and after the $5 million verdict, including his disparaging comments against her such as calling her a “whack job.” The trial, which is expected to last three to five days, only focuses on what money damages Carroll is entitled to.

U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan in June denied Trump’s immunity argument, writing that presidential immunity is “not a ‘get out of damages liability free’ card.”

Trump has also raised the presidential immunity argument in the election interference case brought against him by special counsel Jack Smith. U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan shot down his argument in that case, ruling this month that the former president was not immune to the criminal charges. Trump, who has pleaded not guilty in the case, appealed the ruling to the federal appeals court in Washington, D.C. The Supreme Court last week denied Smith’s request for the high court to immediately decide the matter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Crosstown Classic Score: Cubs-White Sox Thriller Ends 7-5 as Chicago Eyes World Series Hopes - Internewscast Journal

Crosstown Classic Score: Cubs-White Sox Thriller Ends 7-5 as Chicago Eyes World Series Hopes

CHICAGO () — The Chicago White Sox and Chicago Cubs met Monday…
Meta Faces Landmark Federal Trial Over Child Social Media Addiction - Internewscast Journal

Meta Faces Landmark Federal Trial Over Child Social Media Addiction

Opening statements are scheduled to begin Tuesday in a closely watched federal…
Socialist Candidate Sparks Representation Fight in Majority-Black Democratic Primary - Internewscast Journal

Socialist Candidate Sparks Representation Fight in Majority-Black Democratic Primary

Progressive Democratic congressional candidate Elijah Manley on Monday sharply criticized Rep. Debbie…
NYC Homeowners Erupt Over Mamdani Pied-à-Terre Tax Rollout - Internewscast Journal

NYC Homeowners Erupt Over Mamdani Pied-à-Terre Tax Rollout

Frustrated New Yorkers told City Council members Tuesday that Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s…
Trump Admin Pauses Big Bend National Park Border Project - Internewscast Journal

Trump Admin Pauses Big Bend National Park Border Project

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration said Monday it is temporarily stopping construction…
Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens as Keffe D Faces Jury - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens as Keffe D Faces Jury

Opening statements have concluded in the murder trial of Duane “Keffe D”…
Trump Says Strait of Hormuz Open After De-Mining as 60-Day Iran Talks Window Closes - Internewscast Journal

Trump Says Strait of Hormuz Open After De-Mining as 60-Day Iran Talks Window Closes

WASHINGTON — President Trump said Tuesday that the Strait of Hormuz has…
Accused Murderer Who Fled on Pass Had Taxpayer-Funded Apt Access - Internewscast Journal

Accused Murderer Who Fled on Pass Had Taxpayer-Funded Apt Access

A man accused in a Virginia killing who left the United States…
Texas Baby Born After Surrogate Refused Abortion Request Undergoes Complex Heart Surgery - Internewscast Journal

Texas Baby Born After Surrogate Refused Abortion Request Undergoes Complex Heart Surgery

A baby at the center of a high-profile surrogacy dispute has undergone…
Downtown Raleigh Hanging Death Investigated as Suicide, NC Medical Examiner Takes Over Case - Internewscast Journal

Downtown Raleigh Hanging Death Investigated as Suicide, NC Medical Examiner Takes Over Case

RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) — The death of a young Black man found…
California Family Business Ransacked by 40 Looters During Massive Street Takeover - Internewscast Journal

California Family Business Ransacked by 40 Looters During Massive Street Takeover

A large street takeover in California turned chaotic over the weekend when…
Woman Grazed as Third Brooklyn Bystander Shot in 48 Hours - Internewscast Journal

Woman Grazed as Third Brooklyn Bystander Shot in 48 Hours

A woman was struck by a grazing bullet on a Brooklyn sidewalk…