The Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has criticised to Donald Trump's pledge to double tariffs on steel and aluminium.
Share this @internewscast.com

Albanese said today it was “an act of economic self-harm by the United States that will increase the costs for consumers in the United States.”

Australia will host representatives from the World Trade Organisation this week.

The Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has criticised to Donald Trump's pledge to double tariffs on steel and aluminium.
The Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has criticised to Donald Trump’s pledge to double tariffs on steel and aluminium. (Nine)

During a meeting in Paris hosted by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Trade Minister Don Farrell plans to engage with his US counterpart to advocate for the removal of tariffs.

On Wednesday, a three-judge panel of the US Court of International Trade determined that Trump exceeded his authority when he used the 1977 International Emergency Economic Powers Act to declare a national emergency and impose tariffs on imports from nearly every country worldwide.

But Trump’s trade wars are far from over.

On Thursday, the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit permitted the president to temporarily continue enforcing the tariffs under the emergency powers law while appealing the trade court’s ruling.

And the initial ruling covers only Trump’s country-specific imposts but doesn’t touch his sector-specific taxes, such as the extra charge on steel and aluminium.

Trump and Anthony Albanese
Albanese said today it was “an act of economic self-harm by the United States that will increase the costs for consumers in the United States.” (Nine)

Hegseth said China’s designs on Taiwan pose a threat to global peace and stability that requires “our allies and partners do their part on defence”.

“There is no reason to sugarcoat it. The threat China poses is real. And it could be imminent,” Hegseth said in a speech to the Shangri-La Dialogue, Asia’s premier defence forum, in Singapore on Saturday.

Albanese said billions had already been invested.

“What we’ll do is we’ll determine our defence policy. We’ve invested just across the forwards an additional $10 billion in defence,” he said.

Australian Defence Minister Richard Marles backed some of America’s concerns over Beijing.

He agreed to consider the US calls to boost defence spending.

“It’s not just the size of the military build up it’s the fact that it is happening without strategic reassurance, without a clear strategic intent,” he said.

“That’s a sentiment we understand and as I’ve said that’s a conversation we’re totally up for.”

China has railed against America’s efforts in recent years to tighten its alliances and stiffen its defence posture in Asia, while economic frictions rose to historic levels earlier this year after Trump imposed tariffs on China, sparking a tit-for-tat between the two countries that saw duties rise to more than 100 per cent on each other’s goods.
Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Haroula Kipouridou was working as a singer at a Greek tavern at the time of her murder.

Unveiling Justice: $1 Million Reward Offered in Chilling Cold Case Murder Investigation

A rare $1 million reward is being offered to help solve the…
NSW farmer and butcher Bianca Tarrant said the tariffs had a flow-on effect for producers.

Aussie Farmers Brace for Impact: US Tariff Shifts Spark Concerns Down Under

Farmers and producers across Australia are on edge after Donald Trump said…
Chris Baghsarian has been missing for more than a week.

Police Intensify Investigation into Burnt-Out Car in Urgent Search for Missing Grandfather

Police believe a car torched in Sydney‘s west earlier this week is…

ASIO: No Passport Bans for Women Allegedly Linked to IS, Confirms Burke

Australian authorities are grappling with the dilemma of whether to allow the…

From Pilot to Disgraced Figure: The Transformation of Former Prince Andrew

In Brief Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday after police previously said…
U.S. Army soldiers exit a Black Hawk at the Truckee Tahoe Airport in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026, after aiding in recovery efforts for a group of skiers who went missing during a deadly avalanche. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)

Tragic Discovery: Bodies of 9 Backcountry Skiers Recovered After California Avalanche

Nine backcountry skiers tragically lost their lives in an avalanche near California’s…

Burke Announces Initiation of Procedures to Proscribe Islamist Organization Hizb ut-Tahrir

In brief Burke said his department had received advice from ASIO that…
More than 1500 alkaloid poppy plant heads were stolen from the Ballarat farm recently.

Urgent Health Alert Issued Following Theft of 1,700 Toxic Poppy Plants from Confidential Farm Location

Health authorities are raising the alarm after around 1700 toxic poppy plants…
Radical Islamist group closer to hate speech laws ban

Crackdown on Hate Speech: Islamist Group Faces Potential Ban

In a significant development, Australia’s Home Affairs Minister, Tony Burke, announced today…
At the end of a work day, commuters ride a metro train traveling from Flinders Street Station to points outside the city center of Melbourne, Australia

Majority of Nine.com.au Audience Achieves 2026 Goal Ahead of Schedule: Discover Their Secrets!

Exclusive Insight: A worrying trend is emerging in Australia as reading rates…

Donald Trump Elevates Global Tariffs to 15% Maximum, Marking Temporary Increase

In a surprising twist, President Donald Trump announced his decision to increase…

Police Sergeant Faces Double Drink-Driving Allegations in Single Day

An off-duty police officer has been charged after allegedly being caught drink…