George Lucas tells Comic-Con crowd his new museum in LA's Exposition Park will be 'a temple to the people's art'

SAN DIEGO — George Lucas made his debut on the Comic-Con stage Sunday, greeted by an enthusiastic crowd of thousands. Attendees raised light sabers in celebration as the iconic “Star Wars” theme resonated through the room.

The 81-year-old filmmaker, attending San Diego’s renowned pop culture event for the first time, appeared grounded in casual jeans and a flannel shirt. He seemed slightly shy amidst the spotlight. His reflective conversation on the art museum he’s constructing offered a contrast to the usual sci-fi and superhero energy that dominated Comic-Con’s massive Hall H over the preceding days.

Despite his reserved demeanor, Lucas is deeply committed to the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art, which he co-founded alongside his wife, business leader Mellody Hobson. Announced back in 2017, this long-awaited project is slated to open its doors in Los Angeles’ Exposition Park next year.

“This is sort of a temple to the people’s art,” Lucas told the crowd.

The museum designed by Ma Yansong resembles a giant space cruiser, and at 300,000 square feet it’s about the size of an average IKEA store.

“Star Wars” art and artifacts will be well-represented as shown in an introductory video narrated by Samuel L. Jackson.

But Lucas’ focus on the comic art and populist paintings are just as central to its aims. He’s is one of the main collectors of the paintings of Norman Rockwell and Maxfield Parrish, and Hobson has made a specialty of collecting the work of Black painters including Norman Lewis and Kara Walker.

The panel discussion also included director Guillermo del Toro and production designer Doug Chiang, who has worked on Star Wars films since the Lucas-directed “Star Wars” prequels in the 1990s.

Day 2 of San Diego’s Comic-Con found plenty of superheroes, toys and games… and a guy who’s maybe too big a “force” in the Comic-Con world: Mark Hamill!

Rapper, singer and actor Queen Latifah, a friend of Lucas and Hobson who called herself a “sci-fi nerd,” served as moderator and chief energizer of the panel.

“Are y’all pumped up for this museum now or what?” she shouted to the crowd at the end.

The project began in part just to have a place for everything Lucas has collected since he was in college in the 1960s, when he learned original drawings from comic books and comic strips were surprisingly affordable.

“I could get an ‘Alley-Oop’ for $30,” Lucas said. “I’ve been collecting narrative art ever since.”

He owns the first drawing of Flash Gordon, original panels of “Peanuts” comic strips complete with notes from artist Charles Schulz, and early drawings of Iron Man and Black Panther, along with original artwork for political cartoons and alternative comics. He would later move on to paintings and art from films, after the “Star Wars” money began pouring in.

“What am I going to do with it all?” Lucas said. “I refuse to sell it. I could never do that.”

Del Toro, himself a famous hoarder of pop culture artifacts and a museum board member, said the Los Angeles wildfires earlier this year came “frighteningly close” to the collection he keeps at home.

“Now that the museum exists, a lot of it may go there,” Del Toro said.

Meet Maddax Mendonca. The 11-year-old art prodigy not only has an impressive portfolio – he also has a big heart. Partial proceeds from his art sold at Comic-Con and his website go to CHLA.

He emphasized throughout the panel the political importance of comics since their beginnings.

“Comics were the first one to punch Nazis,” Del Toro said. “Before movies.”

While unusual for the big room, the discussion was very close to the kind of talks that have constantly happened in the less flashy corners of Comic-Con for more than 50 years.

Lucas is easily on the Mount Rushmore of figures whose work has had the greatest inspiration on the kind of films and other pop cultural celebrated annually in Hall H.

But the convention wasn’t a common showcase for blockbuster films when he was directing them himself. And he sold “Star Wars” and Lucasfilm to The Walt Disney Co. in 2012.

The Lucas museum’s 11-acre campus sits right next to the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and near several other major museums and the University of Southern California.

An exact date for its opening has not been announced.

Copyright © 2025 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

You May Also Like

Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw

Hours before Austin Metcalf was fatally stabbed, Karmelo Anthony’s former girlfriend had…
Melania Trump laughs off reports of her disappearance: 'I heard you missed me'

Melania Trump Dismisses Disappearance Rumors With ‘I Heard You Missed Me’

WASHINGTON — First lady Melania Trump cut through days of speculation about…
Teens Win $550K After Oregon Park Ride Trapped Them Upside Down - Internewscast Journal

Teens Win $550K After Oregon Park Ride Trapped Them Upside Down

Oregon theme park riders stuck upside down Emergency responders in Oregon rescued…
Family Checks Vegas Morgues for Missing New York Grandmother - Internewscast Journal

Family Checks Vegas Morgues for Missing New York Grandmother

The daughter of a New York grandmother who disappeared during a trip…
Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted - Internewscast Journal

Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted

Dwayne Quamina, a Navy veteran and Mr. Olympia competitor known to bodybuilding…
Kennedy Center, White House Ballroom Plans Reveal Italy-Carved Columns and Plaza Named for Trump - Internewscast Journal

Kennedy Center, White House Ballroom Plans Reveal Italy-Carved Columns and Plaza Named for Trump

Washington — As President Trump continues to defend in court his sweeping…
Lineage Reports 101.8% Cleanup Completion at Rotten Food Site, Yet Waste Remains - Internewscast Journal

Lineage Reports 101.8% Cleanup Completion at Rotten Food Site, Yet Waste Remains

The numbers are raising eyebrows. Lineage now claims it has cleared 101.8%…
Schererville Power Outages Stretch Past Week; NIPSCO Responds - Internewscast Journal

Schererville Power Outages Stretch Past Week; NIPSCO Responds

LAKE COUNTY, Ind. () — Anger and exhaustion are growing in northwest…
Gov. Hochul Warns Holocaust Survivors About Restitution Scam - Internewscast Journal

Gov. Hochul Warns Holocaust Survivors About Restitution Scam

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul has issued a consumer warning after a…
Woman Accused of Plotting: What the Allegation Means Now - Internewscast Journal

Woman Accused of Plotting: What the Allegation Means Now

Federal authorities said Thursday that an alleged terror plot targeting Albany was…
Karmelo Anthony Scores Legal Victory as Trial Judge Is Removed From Appeal - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Scores Legal Victory as Trial Judge Is Removed From Appeal

Karmelo Anthony, who was previously convicted in the murder of 17-year-old Austin…
Walmart to Use $2.9 Billion in Tariff Refunds to Cut Prices for Shoppers - Internewscast Journal

Walmart to Use $2.9 Billion in Tariff Refunds to Cut Prices for Shoppers

Walmart is putting billions of dollars from tariff refunds back into price…