Indian national Praneeth Kumar Usiripalli charged in alleged plane stabbing on Lufthansa flight from Chicago to Germany: DOJ

CHICAGO (WLS) — An alarming incident unfolded aboard a Lufthansa flight from Chicago to Germany on Saturday, resulting in a man facing charges for allegedly attacking two teenage boys with a metal fork, according to the Department of Justice.

The confrontation reportedly erupted shortly after the in-flight meal service. As described by the DOJ, the first victim, a 17-year-old, was dozing in a middle seat when he was rudely awakened. Standing over him was Praneeth Kumar Usiripalli, a 28-year-old Indian national, who allegedly proceeded to stab the teen in the shoulder.

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

The unsettling sequence did not end there. Usiripalli is also accused of targeting another 17-year-old, seated in the middle of a center row, whom he allegedly stabbed in the back of the head.

The crew quickly attempted to restrain Usiripalli, at which point he reportedly made a disturbing gesture by forming a gun with his fingers, placing it in his mouth, and mimicking pulling the trigger.

The situation escalated further when Usiripalli allegedly slapped a female passenger and attempted to strike a flight crew member, heightening the chaos on board.

The suspect then allegedly turned toward a female passenger and slapped her with his hand. Usiripalli also allegedly attempted to slap a flight crew member.

The DOJ said the flight was diverted to Boston Logan International Airport, where officials took Usiripalli, who was previously admitted to the United States on a student visa, into custody. The DOJ said the suspect does not currently have lawful status in the U.S.

Usiripalli is charged with one count of assault with a dangerous weapon with intent to do bodily harm while traveling on an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States, the DOJ said.

If convicted, Usiripalli faces up to 10 years in prison. He will appear in federal court in Boston at a later date.

Lufthansa issued a statement, saying, “Lufthansa confirms that flight LH431 (Boeing 747-8, 363 passengers) operating from Chicago O’Hare International Airport to Frankfurt am Main was diverted to Boston on Saturday, October 25, 2025, where it landed safely.

The diversion was necessitated by the behavior of an unruly passenger, who was taken into custody by local authorities upon arrival. Consequently, the onward flight to Frankfurt did not continue as scheduled.

During this period of high hotel occupancy in the Boston area, Lufthansa made every effort to ensure that all passengers were provided with hotel accommodations and were rebooked on the next available flights. We sincerely regret the inconvenience this situation has caused and appreciate our passengers’ patience and understanding.

The safety and well-being of our passengers and crew are always Lufthansa’s highest priority.

For all inquiries relating to the incident, we kindly ask that questions be directed to the relevant local law enforcement authorities.

Furthermore, we kindly ask for your understanding that Lufthansa is unable to share further details regarding the individual involved.”

You May Also Like

Ohio Mother Bridget Reagan Dies After Tree Falls on SUV in Highway Crash - Internewscast Journal

Ohio Mother Bridget Reagan Dies After Tree Falls on SUV in Highway Crash

An Ohio mother of three died over the weekend in a tragic…
Liberia to Accept 1,000 Third-Country Deportees From US - Internewscast Journal

Liberia to Accept 1,000 Third-Country Deportees From US

Liberia has reached an agreement with the United States to take in…
Nancy Guthrie's abductor may have returned to the crime scene, left critical clues at tribute: expert

Nancy Guthrie Ransom Notes Reveal Repeated Writing Quirks That Could Help Identify Suspect, Expert Says

Two messages believed to be linked to the suspected abduction of Nancy…
Meta Faces Oakland Court Battle as States Sue Over Teen Social Media Use - Internewscast Journal

Meta Faces Oakland Court Battle as States Sue Over Teen Social Media Use

Outside a federal courthouse in Oakland on Tuesday, grieving parents held photos…
Northwest Indiana Power Outages Persist as NIPSCO Restores Service, Storm Cleanup Continues Ahead of Tuesday Severe Weather - Internewscast Journal

Northwest Indiana Power Outages Persist as NIPSCO Restores Service, Storm Cleanup Continues Ahead of Tuesday Severe Weather

MERRILLVILLE, Ind. () — A week after a tornado swept through Munster,…
Alex Murdaugh Seeks New Venue in Double-Murder Retrial Bid - Internewscast Journal

Alex Murdaugh Seeks New Venue in Double-Murder Retrial Bid

Alex Murdaugh’s upcoming retrial may be moved to Richland County, South Carolina,…
69 live animals found stuffed in pillowcases in hidden car compartment after border arrest: Feds

Border Agents Find 69 Live Animals Stuffed in Pillowcases in Secret Car Compartment, Feds Say

A 66-year-old woman described by federal prosecutors as a resident of Tijuana…
Masked Man Filmed Himself Chasing Residents as Screaming Victims Begged for Help, Police Say - Internewscast Journal

Masked Man Filmed Himself Chasing Residents as Screaming Victims Begged for Help, Police Say

Philadelphia police are searching for a masked suspect accused of terrorizing pedestrians…
Mob Ransacks Family-Owned Bellflower Store During Chaotic Street Takeover - Internewscast Journal

Mob Ransacks Family-Owned Bellflower Store During Chaotic Street Takeover

A family-owned Bellflower business was left devastated after a large group of…
Teen-Led Nonprofit Teams Up With Texans Quarterback for Back-to-School Event - Internewscast Journal

Teen-Led Nonprofit Teams Up With Texans Quarterback for Back-to-School Event

HOUSTON, Texas — Lily Dubose was just 8 years old when she…
Former NIAID Adviser David Morens Pleads Guilty in COVID-19 Records Scheme - Internewscast Journal

Former NIAID Adviser David Morens Pleads Guilty in COVID-19 Records Scheme

Washington — A former top adviser at the National Institute of Allergy…
Trump Says Strait of Hormuz Open After De-Mining as 60-Day Iran Talks Window Closes - Internewscast Journal

Trump Says Strait of Hormuz Open After De-Mining as 60-Day Iran Talks Window Closes

WASHINGTON — President Trump said Tuesday that the Strait of Hormuz has…