California man sentenced to prison for using pickaxe to kill teen brother with cerebral palsy

A California resident has been handed a prison sentence ranging from 15 years to life after admitting to the murder of his teenage half-brother, who was living with cerebral palsy and reliant on a wheelchair.

On Tuesday, 26-year-old Zuberi Sharp received his sentence following a guilty plea in March for the second-degree murder of his 15-year-old half-brother, Zayde, as stated by the Ventura County District Attorney’s Office.

In addition to the murder charge, Sharp acknowledged various special allegations and aggravating circumstances, including causing significant bodily harm, using a weapon during the crime, and targeting a particularly vulnerable victim.

The incident occurred on December 5, 2024, when deputies responded to a 911 call at a residence on the 400 block of Jeanne Court in Newbury Park, shortly after 8 p.m. Zayde’s mother had called to report her son being struck on the head with an object.

The Ventura County District Attorney’s Office confirmed Zuberi Sharp’s sentence of 15 years to life imprisonment.

According to the victim’s mother, Sharp attacked Zayde with a pickaxe inside a backyard shed.

The teen’s uncle heard a loud thud and rushed to the shed to check on the two brothers. He observed Sharp standing over Zayde while holding a pickaxe.

Zayde was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after arriving.

Meanwhile, Sharp fled the scene and was later found at nearby Newbury Park High School, where deputies took him into custody after receiving reports of a man acting erratically on the football field, authorities said.

The victim’s mother reported that Zuberi had attacked Zayde with a pickaxe inside a shed in the backyard. (Getty Images)

The incident forced a lockdown, as student-athletes were on the field when he arrived.

“This sentence reflects the seriousness of a violent and senseless act against a vulnerable victim,” Senior Deputy District Attorney David Russell said in a press release. “While nothing can undo this loss, it ensures the defendant is held accountable and that the victim’s family has been spared the trauma of a trial.”

Investigators never released a motive for the attack, but family members told KTLA they believed Sharp was having a manic episode at the time.

Ventura County Sheriff's car

Zuberi is also the son of convicted killer Calvin Sharp, who killed a 6-year-old boy with a meat cleaver in 2007. (Thousand Oaks Police Department)

“It’s hard,” Zayde’s mother previously told the outlet at a ceremony to honor her son. “It’s been really hard. Pain every day.”

Sharp is also the son of convicted killer Calvin Sharp, who killed a 6-year-old boy with a meat cleaver in 2007. He pleaded guilty to the murder and was sentenced to life in prison.

Fox News Digital has reached out to Sharp’s legal team. The Ventura County District Attorney’s Office directed inquiries to Tuesday’s press release.

<!–>

–>

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Beloved mom of 3 killed when massive tree crashes onto SUV in freak highway accident

Mom of 3 Killed as Massive Tree Crushes SUV on Highway

A tragic highway accident in Ohio claimed the life of a mother…
Wild Turkeys Blamed for Coastal California Power Outages - Internewscast Journal

Wild Turkeys Blamed for Coastal California Power Outages

A scenic stretch of California’s Central Coast has been hit by an…
Tupac Shakur Family Splits as Court Shows Autopsy Photos - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Shakur Family Splits as Court Shows Autopsy Photos

Testimony continued Tuesday for a second day in the trial of Duane…
California Family Business Ransacked by 40 Looters During Massive Street Takeover - Internewscast Journal

California Family Business Ransacked by 40 Looters During Massive Street Takeover

A large street takeover in California turned chaotic over the weekend when…
Massachusetts Woman Sought as Armed and Dangerous After Police Officer Husband Found Dead at Home: Report - Internewscast Journal

Massachusetts Woman Sought as Armed and Dangerous After Police Officer Husband Found Dead at Home: Report

Authorities in Massachusetts are searching for a woman described as “armed and…
Texas Teen Seeks New Trial in Fatal Track Meet Stabbing - Internewscast Journal

Texas Teen Seeks New Trial in Fatal Track Meet Stabbing

DALLAS — A Texas teen found guilty in the fatal stabbing of…
Runner Finds Woman Fatally Stabbed Beside Vehicle Near Upscale DC Suburb Trail - Internewscast Journal

Runner Finds Woman Fatally Stabbed Beside Vehicle Near Upscale DC Suburb Trail

Woman found dead outside car in affluent neighborhood Police said a morning…
Manhunt underway after off-duty Massachusetts police veteran found dead at woman's home

Manhunt After Off-Duty Massachusetts Police Veteran Found Dead

Authorities in Massachusetts have launched an urgent search for a 58-year-old woman…
NYC Homeowners Erupt Over Mamdani Pied-à-Terre Tax Rollout - Internewscast Journal

NYC Homeowners Erupt Over Mamdani Pied-à-Terre Tax Rollout

Frustrated New Yorkers told City Council members Tuesday that Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s…
Justice Department Seeks to Reopen Criminal Case Against Kilmar Abrego Garcia - Internewscast Journal

Justice Department Seeks to Reopen Criminal Case Against Kilmar Abrego Garcia

The Justice Department is seeking to reinstate criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego…
Liberia to Accept 1,200 Third-Country Deportees from the US Within a Year - Internewscast Journal

Liberia to Accept 1,200 Third-Country Deportees from the US Within a Year

ICE reportedly to target Haitian migrants as protected status ends Former acting…
Mob James Won’t Snitch on Rival in Tupac Shakur Murder Trial - Internewscast Journal

Mob James Won’t Snitch on Rival in Tupac Shakur Murder Trial

A notorious former gang member brushed off questions about Tupac Shakur’s killing…