Pentagon cuts Brigade Combat Teams in Europe as Trump pressures NATO on spending

The Pentagon has announced a strategic reduction of Brigade Combat Teams (BCTs) stationed in Europe, scaling back from four to three. This move aligns with the Trump administration’s push for NATO allies to step up their defense spending.

This decision follows President Donald Trump’s persistent urging for European nations to take on more responsibility for their own defense needs, thereby decreasing their dependency on the United States. This announcement also comes on the heels of the Pentagon’s recent halt of a scheduled rotation involving approximately 4,000 U.S. troops to Poland.

While exact numbers were not disclosed, a typical BCT includes around 4,400 to 4,700 soldiers. Officials indicated that this adjustment aims to restore troop levels in Europe to those observed in 2021.

“This decision resulted from a comprehensive, multilayered assessment focusing on the U.S. force posture in Europe,” the Pentagon stated in its release.

President Trump is also contemplating the withdrawal of troops from Germany, Spain, and Italy. (Piroschka Van De Wouw/Reuters: Kirk Frady/Medical Readiness Command Europe)

The Pentagon noted that this decision would lead to a temporary delay in the deployment of U.S. forces to Poland, which it praised as “a model U.S. ally.”

“The Department will determine the final disposition of these and other U.S. forces in Europe based on further analysis of U.S. strategic and operational requirements, as well as our allies’ own ability to contribute forces toward Europe’s defense,” the statement said.

“This analysis is designed to advance President Trump’s America First agenda in Europe and other theaters, including by incentivizing and enabling our NATO allies to take primary responsibility for Europe’s conventional defense,” it added.

In February, President Trump said he would direct War Secretary Pete Hegseth and other relevant departments and agencies to begin identifying and declassifying records. (Saul Loeb/AFP)

War Secretary Pete Hegseth spoke Tuesday with Polish Deputy Prime Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz, the Pentagon said, adding that the U.S. would remain in close contact with Polish officials throughout the review process.

“Poland has shown both the ability and resolve to defend itself,” the department said. “Other NATO allies should follow suit.”

The announcement came after Reuters reported Tuesday that the Trump administration plans to inform NATO allies this week that the United States would reduce the military capabilities available to support Europe during a major conflict, citing sources familiar with the matter.

The move also comes days after the Pentagon halted a planned rotation of approximately 4,000 U.S. Army troops to Poland, sparking concern in Warsaw and criticism from U.S. lawmakers.

The affected unit, the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, had been scheduled to deploy to Poland and other eastern flank positions as part of a routine nine-month NATO rotation.

Around 10,000 U.S. troops are typically stationed in Poland, most serving on rotational deployments lasting several months. Because the American military presence in Poland relies heavily on those rotations, the halted deployment raised concerns among Polish officials.

President Donald Trump spoke with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte during the North Atlantic Council plenary meeting at the NATO summit in The Hague on June 25, 2025. (Ludovic Marin/AFP)

Poland’s deputy defense minister said Warsaw plans to press U.S. officials in the coming days over the Pentagon’s decision.

“We will ask questions and I guess that we will get answers,” Polish Deputy Defense Minister Paweł Zalewski previously told Fox News Digital in an interview ahead of meetings in Washington with Pentagon officials and members of Congress.

Pete Hegseth seated in the Oval Office during a meeting

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth meets with President Donald Trump and Poland’s President Karol Nawrocki in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, D.C., on Sept. 3, 2025. (Aaron Schwartz/CNP/Bloomberg)

Polish officials have continued describing the country as a “model ally” within NATO and said they expect military cooperation with the United States to continue expanding.

<!–>

–>

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Schererville Power Outages Stretch Past Week; NIPSCO Responds - Internewscast Journal

Schererville Power Outages Stretch Past Week; NIPSCO Responds

LAKE COUNTY, Ind. () — Anger and exhaustion are growing in northwest…
FBI Arrests Woman Accused of ISIS-Inspired Plot to Bomb New York State Capitol - Internewscast Journal

FBI Arrests Woman Accused of ISIS-Inspired Plot to Bomb New York State Capitol

An ISIS-inspired suspect has been arrested after allegedly planning a deadly assault…
Two missing children rescued from trailer as police arrest babysitter on kidnapping charges

Missing Children Found in Trailer; Babysitter Arrested for Kidnapping

Police rescue kidnapped baby and toddler from hot Atlanta trailer Atlanta police…
Family Checks Vegas Morgues for Missing New York Grandmother - Internewscast Journal

Family Checks Vegas Morgues for Missing New York Grandmother

The daughter of a New York grandmother who disappeared during a trip…
Bronx man accused of attacking Shabbat worshippers admitted motive in recorded interview, feds say

Feds Say Bronx Shabbat Attack Suspect Admitted Motive on Tape

A Bronx resident facing federal hate crime charges after a violent disturbance…
Severe Storms to Slam Northeast as 32M Face Dangerous Flooding Threat - Internewscast Journal

Severe Storms to Slam Northeast as 32M Face Dangerous Flooding Threat

Powerful thunderstorms are forecast to push into the East Coast just as…
Minneapolis Police Probe Third Body in Three-Day Death String - Internewscast Journal

Minneapolis Police Probe Third Body in Three-Day Death String

Authorities in Minneapolis are investigating a series of body recoveries across the…
1,500 Mink Escape Oregon Farm After Fence Is Cut Open - Internewscast Journal

1,500 Mink Escape Oregon Farm After Fence Is Cut Open

About 1,500 mink broke loose from an Oregon farm after someone cut…
Timeline: How 'Chucky' Mask Suspect Evaded Philadelphia Police - Internewscast Journal

Timeline: How ‘Chucky’ Mask Suspect Evaded Philadelphia Police

Surveillance video shows the tense moments a masked man, wearing a disturbing…
Teens Trapped Upside Down on Portland AtmosFEAR Ride Win Key Legal Victory - Internewscast Journal

Teens Trapped Upside Down on Portland AtmosFEAR Ride Win Key Legal Victory

Two Oregon teenagers who were trapped upside down with 26 other riders…
Kennedy Center, White House Ballroom Plans Reveal Italy-Carved Columns and Plaza Named for Trump - Internewscast Journal

Kennedy Center, White House Ballroom Plans Reveal Italy-Carved Columns and Plaza Named for Trump

Washington — As President Trump continues to defend in court his sweeping…
Martin County sheriff’s deputies track a vehicle before the arrest of Moniquie Love Turnbull in Florida

Florida Woman Accused of Scamming Senior, Hiding Thousands in Stolen Cash Inside Her Body

A Florida woman accused of impersonating a bank employee to defraud an…