Pentagon Removes 4 US Troops Killed in Renewed Fighting From Official Iran War Death Toll - Internewscast Journal
Pentagon Removes 4 US Troops Killed in Renewed Fighting From Official Iran War Death Toll

WASHINGTON — Four U.S. service members who died amid the latest flare-up in fighting between the United States and Iran are no longer included in the Pentagon’s official Iran war casualty total. Instead, their deaths have been moved into a newly created, separate classification.

The change is prompting fresh scrutiny over how the government is measuring the cost to American troops as the Trump administration intensifies military strikes on Iran in an effort to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, while offering few clear signals about how it plans to bring the deeply divisive conflict to a close.

Last week, the Defense Casualty Analysis System — a Pentagon-run database that officials have repeatedly described as the authoritative source for U.S. military deaths and injuries in the conflict — removed the four fallen soldiers and dozens of wounded personnel from its Iran war count.

By Sunday, the website displayed a new heading, “Overseas Operations,” which listed the four Army deaths by name along with 207 wounded service members. It was not immediately clear whether every person listed as wounded under that category had been injured in the Iran conflict.

U.S. Central Command, responsible for American military operations across the Middle East, directed inquiries to the Pentagon. The Defense Department did not immediately provide a response.

Pentagon described earlier changes to the system as ‘data disruptions’

Pentagon press secretary Joel Valdez said Thursday that the lower casualty figures shown in the online system were not an attempt to obscure the mounting human cost of the war. He attributed the shift to “anomalies” and “temporary data disruptions,” saying officials expected the issues to be resolved “imminently.”

As recently as Tuesday, the database listed the official Iran war toll at 18 dead and 482 wounded.

Those figures appeared to include four soldiers killed after combat resumed despite an interim ceasefire agreement signed last month: three who died July 17 when Iranian ballistic missiles and drones struck a base in Jordan, and a fourth who was killed the following day in Iraq during a controlled detonation of an Iranian drone.

Adding further confusion, when the Pentagon announced two of the deaths in Jordan, it said the troops were supporting the U.S. mission to counter the Islamic State group. The other two were announced in press releases simply as supporting overseas operations.

President Donald Trump has confirmed the total, writing in a Truth Social post on Tuesday that the “Iran Military Conflict” had claimed 18 lives.

By Wednesday, the Iran war figures in the Pentagon’s system fell back to 14 dead and 420 wounded. However, a U.S. official told The Associated Press at the time that the actual number of wounded personnel in the war had actually grown to well over 500 troops.

The Pentagon’s top spokesman, Sean Parnell, took to social media that day to assert that the reported drop was a “temporary data disruption.”

New category lists casualties following date of renewed fighting

The U.S. and Israel launched the war in Iran on Feb. 28, and 14 troops were killed in the initial waves of fighting. Washington and Tehran agreed to a ceasefire in April and then signed an interim deal to end the war in mid-June.

It was short-lived. Iran struck three merchant vessels in the Strait of Hormuz on July 7 that were transiting along a route near the coast of Oman overseen by the U.S. military. American forces launched strikes in response to the attacks on vessels in the key energy shipping corridor. Trump soon declared that the ceasefire was over.

The Pentagon system’s new “Overseas Operations” category says it tallies casualties starting July 7.

Since then, the U.S. and Iran have exchanged regular fire in a bid to control the crucial waterway, with the U.S. hitting Iranian targets nightly for nearly two weeks and Tehran responding with attacks on neighboring countries hosting American forces. There have been no strikes for two nights as mediators push for diplomacy.

Since the renewed hostilities began, the Pentagon has provided even less information about military strategy and casualties than it did during the first phase of the conflict. The Pentagon has not held a press briefing about the war since early May, and officials at U.S. Central Command have stopped providing casualty updates to reporters.

Pentagon officials such as Valdez and Parnell have insisted that the DCAS website is proof of the commitment to transparency about the number of dead and injured in the war.

Copyright © 2026 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Man Killed in Front of Wife as Falling Rock Smashes Through Jeep Roof During National Park Trip - Internewscast Journal

Man Killed in Front of Wife as Falling Rock Smashes Through Jeep Roof During National Park Trip

What began as a sentimental family journey through Montana’s Glacier National Park…
Supreme Court Rejects Trump Bid to Revisit $5 Million E. Jean Carroll Verdict - Internewscast Journal

Supreme Court Rejects Trump Bid to Revisit $5 Million E. Jean Carroll Verdict

The Supreme Court on Monday refused, for a second time, to take…
Meta Faces Landmark Federal Trial Over Child Social Media Addiction - Internewscast Journal

Meta Faces Landmark Federal Trial Over Child Social Media Addiction

Opening statements are scheduled to begin Tuesday in a closely watched federal…
Remains Found Near Nancy Guthrie’s Home Not Linked to Case at This Time, Report Says - Internewscast Journal

Remains Found Near Nancy Guthrie’s Home Not Linked to Case at This Time, Report Says

Human remains have been found in the desert not far from the…
Missing Long Beach Jet Skier Found Alive After Night Search - Internewscast Journal

Missing Long Beach Jet Skier Found Alive After Night Search

A jet skier who vanished overnight off the coast of Long Beach…
Neighbor’s Pit Bulls Maul Pregnant Kansas Woman Carrying Twins - Internewscast Journal

Neighbor’s Pit Bulls Maul Pregnant Kansas Woman Carrying Twins

A pregnant Kansas woman was left with devastating facial injuries after she…
California School Closures Accelerate as Student Enrollment Plummets Statewide - Internewscast Journal

California School Closures Accelerate as Student Enrollment Plummets Statewide

California is seeing a troubling wave of school closures. For more than…
CBP officers seize $67 million in illegal drugs at San Diego border ports, DHS says

CBP Seizes $67 Million in Illegal Drugs at San Diego Border Ports, DHS Reports

Alleged underground drug tunnel discovered in San Diego Federal authorities say a…
IPOs for Open AI, Anthropic could unlock $430B for charity

OpenAI, Anthropic IPOs Could Unleash $430B for Charity

The anticipated public listings of OpenAI and Anthropic could set off one…
Luigi Mangione’s New York Murder Trial Delayed Until December Amid Double Jeopardy Concerns - Internewscast Journal

Luigi Mangione’s New York Murder Trial Delayed Until December Amid Double Jeopardy Concerns

Luigi Mangione pleads guilty in federal case Luigi Mangione has pleaded guilty…
DA: Man Kills 4 People, 3 Dogs in Revenge Attack on Ex’s Family Before Setting Home on Fire - Internewscast Journal

DA: Man Kills 4 People, 3 Dogs in Revenge Attack on Ex’s Family Before Setting Home on Fire

A California man seeking revenge after a breakup waited until his ex-boyfriend’s…
Woman Grazed as Third Brooklyn Bystander Shot in 48 Hours - Internewscast Journal

Woman Grazed as Third Brooklyn Bystander Shot in 48 Hours

A woman was struck by a grazing bullet on a Brooklyn sidewalk…