Ex-US soldier gets consecutive life sentences for killing couple to fund Venezuela mercenary fighting plans

A former U.S. soldier, Craig Austin Lang, has been sentenced to two life terms for the murder of a Florida couple, a crime he committed during a robbery intended to finance his travel to Venezuela. The Justice Department announced the sentencing on Tuesday, highlighting the gravity of Lang’s actions, which were aimed at supporting his plans to join the fight against Nicolás Maduro’s government.

In September, Lang, 35, faced conviction on several federal charges, including robbery and conspiracy to commit murder abroad. Prior to his extradition to the United States, he had been in Ukraine, where he volunteered to combat Russian separatists. His actions have drawn sharp criticism from authorities. “Lang’s alleged conduct is shocking in its scope and its callous disregard for human life,” stated Nicole Argentieri, the principal deputy assistant attorney general of the Department of Justice’s criminal division.

The path to justice began with Lang’s extradition from Ukraine to the U.S., where he had to answer for multiple federal indictments dating back to 2019, including murder charges. Lang, alongside another former soldier, Alex Jared Zwiefelhofer, was implicated in the deaths of Serafin “Danny” Lorenzo Jr. and Deana Lorenzo. The couple, who traveled from Brooksville to Estero, became victims in April 2018 during what they believed was a legitimate gun purchase arranged through “Armslist,” an online marketplace.

Solider dressed in camouflage with a cigarette in his mouth

This tragic incident unfolded in 2019 when Lang allegedly fled to engage in mercenary activities abroad. His actions, leaving behind a trail of violence and broken lives, underscore the complexities of international crime and justice.

Lang and another former soldier, Alex Jared Zwiefelhofer, killed Serafin “Danny” Lorenzo Jr. and Deana Lorenzo – who traveled from Brooksville to Estero – in April 2018 during what the couple believed was a meeting to buy guns advertised on “Armslist,” an online marketplace, federal prosecutors said.

Picture of the killer and the victim in a split image.

Craig Austin Lang (left), an ex-US soldier, is accused of killing Deana Lorenzo (right) and her husband in a double homicide in 2019 before he allegedly fled the country to fight as a mercenary in foreign countries.  (Special to The News-Press)

The pair had brought $3,000 and were ambushed in a parking lot and shot multiple times, authorities said. The robbery was intended to fund travel plans for Lang and Zwiefelhofer to Venezuela, where they hoped to join a paramilitary group.

Lang was dishonorably discharged from the U.S. Army in 2014 before joining the far-right Ukrainian nationalist military group known as Right Sector two years later, according to The Washington Post.

A man with a helmet holding a large weapon.

Craig Austin Lang, an ex-US soldier, faces three federal indictments in three states going back to 2019 after fighting extradition from Ukraine for years, the Department of Justice said.  (East2West)

Lang and Zwiefelhofer had previously fought in Ukraine and intended to travel to fight in other conflicts.

Zwiefelhofer was convicted in 2024 and sentenced to two consecutive life terms in prison.

You May Also Like

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens in Las Vegas Over Rapper’s 1996 Killing - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens in Las Vegas Over Rapper’s 1996 Killing

Nearly three decades after Tupac Shakur was gunned down in Las Vegas,…
Luigi Mangione’s New York Murder Trial Delayed Until December Amid Double Jeopardy Concerns - Internewscast Journal

Luigi Mangione’s New York Murder Trial Delayed Until December Amid Double Jeopardy Concerns

Luigi Mangione pleads guilty in federal case Luigi Mangione has pleaded guilty…
Mob Ransacks Family-Owned Bellflower Store During Chaotic Street Takeover - Internewscast Journal

Mob Ransacks Family-Owned Bellflower Store During Chaotic Street Takeover

A family-owned Bellflower business was left devastated after a large group of…
Health Officials Trace Salmonella Outbreak to California Egg Producer - Internewscast Journal

Health Officials Trace Salmonella Outbreak to California Egg Producer

A California egg farm has been identified by local health officials as…
Downtown Raleigh Hanging Death Investigated as Suicide, NC Medical Examiner Takes Over Case - Internewscast Journal

Downtown Raleigh Hanging Death Investigated as Suicide, NC Medical Examiner Takes Over Case

RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) — The death of a young Black man found…
IPOs for Open AI, Anthropic could unlock $430B for charity

OpenAI, Anthropic IPOs Could Unleash $430B for Charity

The anticipated public listings of OpenAI and Anthropic could set off one…
Meta Faces Landmark Federal Trial Over Child Social Media Addiction - Internewscast Journal

Meta Faces Landmark Federal Trial Over Child Social Media Addiction

Opening statements are scheduled to begin Tuesday in a closely watched federal…
South Korean President Boosts Military After Trump Drill Cuts - Internewscast Journal

South Korean President Boosts Military After Trump Drill Cuts

South Korean President Lee Jae Myung called on Tuesday for the country…
36 Poop-Covered Border Collies Rescued in Florida Get New Start - Internewscast Journal

36 Poop-Covered Border Collies Rescued in Florida Get New Start

Dozens of Border Collies found coated in feces inside what officials described…
Alex Murdaugh Seeks New Venue in Double-Murder Retrial Bid - Internewscast Journal

Alex Murdaugh Seeks New Venue in Double-Murder Retrial Bid

Alex Murdaugh’s upcoming retrial may be moved to Richland County, South Carolina,…
Trump Says Strait of Hormuz Open After De-Mining as 60-Day Iran Talks Window Closes - Internewscast Journal

Trump Says Strait of Hormuz Open After De-Mining as 60-Day Iran Talks Window Closes

WASHINGTON — President Trump said Tuesday that the Strait of Hormuz has…
Wladimir Klitschko Says He’s in ‘Profound Shock’ After Hayden Panettiere’s Death - Internewscast Journal

Wladimir Klitschko Says He’s in ‘Profound Shock’ After Hayden Panettiere’s Death

Wladimir Klitschko, Hayden Panettiere’s former fiancé, publicly addressed the actor’s death for…